Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gangi

Dynamic Shine

Guest Milton

Yes, but in a limited fashion. Don't know what MS used but it doesn't seem to be doable in gmax.I am attaching a shot of the Dash 7 prop and settings in gmax. You can vary the settings downward with some success.Dark colors and tight rounded surfaces work okay, flatter surfaces are a problem with color washout.Milton

Hi Melvin !Tom and I solved the problem in two ways.First of all let me say the the x-exporter plugin in gmax has some problems since it is not possible to reach the correct level of spec-lighting you need.There are two solutions.The first one (that is the one I follow) is to forget Gmax and work only in 3dsmax, export via the Directx 3dsmax X exporter and then send to MakeMdl.The problem of that solutions is the avability of the expensive 3dsmax ... I have this at work but I understand that is not possible for everyone to use that.The second way is to tweek the X file.You export via the known chain ... MdlCommander --> Middleman --> MakeMdl ... using the option "save X file" and "do not compile".The you open the X file .. and you change for every material the value of material multipling 10 times or so ...Here is the result ...It is also to be said that the shine fx is the best on high detailed and dense meshes possibly very smooth.I'm going to make you an example as soon I get home to my files ..Here is a pic of the result ...Wish you the best !

Guest Milton

... and a beautiful result it is Simone. :-)Thanks for sharing.Milton

Whoa! I can't believe my eyes!!! It finnaly started to work - thanks for the hints.:-cool

Hei Milton ...I'm always pleased to share what I discover ... ;-)This is a very nice feature ... IMHO as important as reflections, and most important it hasn't any impact on Frame rate !The only boring thing is to make a list of all he materials you want the effects on it ... and then find and substitute the values via manual tweeking the X file ...Take care.

>- thanks for the hints. You're welcome !I'm going to show you some detailed numbers to reach such fx tonight when I go back home.As soon you get some results ... show us ! ;-)Ciao!

Guest MelvinRafi

Thanks Simone! I've managed to get it to work. I've been playing around with numbers (glossiness and specular respectively) ranging from 10.0/99.9 to 100/999. Right now I've settled for 32/320. Do you have any suggestions as to what the best value for the specular and glossiness values are?Thanks again!:) Melvin Rafiwww.meljet.comBrand new FS2002 Boeing 777 under development!

Melvin ...I'll post asap some test and related shots to reach different results for different kind of surfaces ...Ciao!

Guest Gangi

hey..can anyone explain me what i do after i captured the X file to fix the glossines value?Thanx, aviel