Sign in to follow this  

WIP and a small question

Thanks for all the help... Sarcasm is the most beautifull word there is...

>Hi guys, >>First the small question. Is there a partnaming convention >for FSDS2? I mean a general one, not only the parts which >are going to be animated? If so, where can I find it or what >are your suggestions? Alexander, I didn't answer simply because I don't use FSDS2. I use GMax exclusively, thus my answer may not be of any help to you whatever.As far as I'm aware, the only 'naming convention' necessary to follow faithfully is that which is set out in the various SDK's from MS.I however, have deliberately chosen to name every part using a scheme that follows this convention: major_minor_partname_x.For example, all the various parts that make up the VC panel would be named like this:vc_panel_P1_backplanevc_panel_P1_trimvc_panel_P1_consolevc_panel_P2_backplanevc_panel_P2_trimvc_panel_P2_consoleetc.By adopting such a consistent naming convention, I never have to wonder just what the heck parts named "box01", or "cone01" are... :)In addition, all the various parts that constitute a major assembly are listed together in the 'pick menu' of GMax.

>Thanks Bill. You are most welcome...Further to the above naming schema, whenever a major assembly is finished, I 'group' all of the various parts into a single named object, such as "vc_panel_complete," "fuselage_complete," , etc. to reduce the number of visible parts in the pick list... :)After you have several hundred (thousand?) parts, it's a bit easier to find stuff when the list is shortened...Here's wishing you a joyous holiday season!

Great, thanks Bill! That's very usefull information! :) I remember the partnaming hell I had when I was working on the Fokker G.1 Mercury.BTW people, any comments on the screenies?Happy holidays! (Not for me. I only have 2 days off till the rest of the year. Just don't ask where I work, ok? :))