Sign in to follow this  

FSDS2 & VC Night Lighting

After an exhaustive series of trials, I've come to the conclusion that FSDS2 simply does not adhere strictly the the MSFS SDK, at least insofar as VC panel backlighting is concerned... The SDK insists that the gauge projection poly must have the $ prefix in order for FS2k2 to generate a texture at runtime. Likewise, the SDK specifies that the lightmap for backlighting must use the same filename, but without the prefix, and the suffix _L appended.Note that this is an exception to the usual practice of using just the _L suffix for ordinary lightmaps.Unfortunately, FSDS2 will not allow the user to specify the exact filename needed, but insists on prepending the $ incorrectly to the _L lightmap's filename.Looking at the .mdl file in a hex editor, I note that even the filename is inverted, being specified as _L $LeftPanel instead of LeftPanel_L.bmp that GMax will create.Has anyone ever managed to figure out a way around this problem? If not, then I'm afraid FSDS2 will get soon get flushed down the recycling bin at my design studio. If it doesn't follow the SDK properly here, who knows what other "Gotchas" are lurking around the corner... Does anyone know a way to export an FSDS2 creation so that GMax can import it?BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Guest Milton

Bill,I know after all your work on this, it must be disheartening.From my daily visits at the FFDS forum, I have observed the author being very responsive to these kinds of issues.A fix would make a whole lot of FSDS2 users very happy, and you seem to have found the offending culprit. Would it be possible for you to post your findings at the FFDS forum or write to Louis directly so this wonderful feature would be available to all our FSDS2 designer friends. BTW, I am deeply apprecaitive of all your help in gmax regarding the VC.EDIT: Whoops, I see that you have posted there. Thank you. ;-)Milton

The truly sad part is that Bob Hayes has invested nearly six months of very long days on the Premier I - which truly is a magnificent example of what patience, preseverance and artistic talent can produce! - only to find now that the VC will have to limp along with only fx floodlighting for the time being.Actually, I already posted virtually the same message over at the FFDS forum, in the hope that someone may have cracked this chestnut already... :)Perhaps I'll change my mind, but so far I very much underwhelmed by FSDS2. It's a lot like driving a 1928 Ford right after having driven a Formula 1 race car... :)Thank you for your "thank you." You are most welcome, friend!BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Bill,Drop a note to Mikko Malinemi. He had lit gauges on his FSDS 1.6 Cessna VC's quite some time ago. He may be able to help.mmniemi@hotmail.com Also post in the Freeflightdesign.com forum with this problem. Louis Sinclair who wrote FSDS and other designers hang out in there and may have an idea or 2Brian

Guest FelixFFDS

Louis and Bill have made contact.

>Louis and Bill have made contact.Indeed we have! I just sent an email with observations and details to Louis. Thanks, Felix! Let's hope that this can be quickly solved, as I'm sure it will make a lot of FSDS2 modelers quite happy. :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg