Sign in to follow this  

GMax Blues.

Hi.That step I had no problem with, it's after I resized / scaled it, that the problem started. Thank you. TV

Hi, Lou.Thank you, for your help.At the above site I was able to find the information needed to scale down the P38. It is not perfect, yet, I am still a bit high, about 6Ft AGL, but better. I am not sure this Gmax is ready for prime time. It looks like something that was glued together by some amateurs.Thanks again. TV

>Hi, Lou. >Thank you, for your help. >At the above site I was able to find the information needed >to scale down the P38. It is not perfect, yet, I am still a >bit high, about 6Ft AGL, but better. I am not sure this Gmax >is ready for prime time. It looks like something that was >glued together by some amateurs. I think you have that backwards, since GMax is nothing less than a scaled down version of one of the best 3d modeling tools available: 3d Studio Max! :)It is not a simple, 'point and click' program, that's for sure... I think the single biggest 'problem' with GMax is that they didn't 'dumb it down' enough for the amateur user, but kept too many of the 'professional features.'GMax is a lot like life itself; not a day goes by that I don't learn something new... :)

I'd say ur both right, the problem is one of perspective. If you are an author of 3dsmax, and you are working to create a "dumbed" down version for games, you'll not perfectly nail the needs of the beginner. If you are a beginner, you will likely not expect to learn 3dsmax, just to use gmax.I'll also say, that having bought a 3dsmax book, and settled down to learn gmax without much pressure for output, I not only learned it, but enjoy the heck out of using it.Gmax is a great program, but no one will realize that until they have attained a certain skill level at using it.Stick with it!Bob B

No problems with the scaling tools here...center stays in the same place relative to the other points being scaled. A good way to get the plane on the runway is to make sure (0,0,0) is somewhere in the middle of the plane. When I first exported my first test model, it was off the left wingtip, only because I had never bothered to put it in the right place to begin with. My fault, not gMax's.gMax is not perfect (can anyone say Material Editor on Sundays?), and makemdl definitely has some problems, including the forward/back reversed problem. Your experience with computers in the 1970s probably gives you a lot of knowledge I don't have, but I doubt that it puts you ahead of anyone else in learning to use gMax. I've been using CAD software of various sorts for about 3 years now, and I can say that gMax is a well designed program, but you have to be patient and learn to use it just like everyone else.Matt

Hi, Matt.> No problems with the scaling tools here...center stays in the same place relative to the other points being scaled.< Try this :Use the P38 from the Gmax Tutorial, resize it and let me know what you get, and how you did it.>only because I had never bothered to put it in the right place to begin with. My fault, not gMax's. < Try the above and you will find out that the above statement is not correct. I had to create 2 center points in order to get it aligned, one Absolute and one that I scaled with the Model. Again, please let me know how it comes out, and please post some pics with Nav lights on. I also had a lot of interface with Cads, Routers, Board layouts, Paint, 3D etc. and I was always able to anchor my center, and scale, to very close tolerances, without encountering any of these problems. I am glad some of you guys like it, but it

All this due to a dumb tut.SCRAP that tut...do a different one...buy a book...Or for heavens sake, abandon GMAX....but please stop the anti-GMAX diatribe. VERY hard to accept that we who started right where you are, and became proficient are somehow fooled into accepting an invalid tool, all because you can't do a silly tut.I couldn't do one of the tuts either. There must be hundreds of tuts available. My heavens.Bob Bernstein

Hi, Bob. My last message was directed to Matt. And I had things somewhat resolved. I was able to get trough the tut. But now you got me confused.>..all because you can't do a silly tut

Well "AV" Gmax is a fine tool as others have told you setting an objects "center point" as you call it (more properly called it's pivot point) is simple sir look for the "Hierarchy" button select"affect pivot point only" and move the pivot point to any place you want to. An objects pivot point is what the software "sees" as the"center" of an object and that is the same in ANY 3D modeling toolI have used 3DSMaxgmax, Lightwave, Soft Image and Maya. So pleaserather than post "how all of the stuff you have worked with was easy to use" simply ask how and I am sure someone here will be more than glad to help you!. But when you come across as being negative people here(myself included) will tend to be negative in their responce to you. Dan

Hi please read the above sir it explains why you are having the "problems" that you are having you see it is you who does not understand what the "centerpoint" as you call it of an object is.Like I said sir the "centerpoint of an object is in fact it's pivot point often is not anywhere near the "visual" center of an object it's often at the point of the first vertex of an object. But I likeBob before me will just say something like Gmax and (just about any other 3D modeling tool)I can think of may not be for you. I would however suggest a lesson or two on basic manners sir! Dan