Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fly1

Eze Has Been Uploaded ...

Bob do you know of where I can find a 3-view of rutan's burkute?

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Bob and Jet.Jet, you beat me to it on the three-view drawings. Thanks.Bob, yes, there have been many mods to the plane. The NACA engine air intake and the current rudder (which stretches, like yours, almost all the winglet's span) were made by Burt himself. The story of the little, square rudders, goes like this: The original Long EZ had big rudders, like the current ones, but during flight testing Dick Rutan, Burt's brother and chief test pilot of most of his planes, discovered that by using a combination of rudder and ailerons he could create a coupled moment of inertia that would instantly tumble the plane to a nose up, canopy-forward attitude, while still traveling forward.Burt was distressed by this possibility (which, as told to me by Dick himself, was actually extremelly hard to perform) and decided to "correct" the plane. The solution? Make the rudders smaller. This didn't last long, for the rudders on the Long EZ are also used as speed brakes (they only deflect to the outside, so if you step on both rudder pedals, they both open and create drag), and the new, tiny, square ones didn't do a whole lot. Builders hence reversed the rudders to their original, almost-full-span design.The new, Roncz-(sp?)-designed canard, was to fix a problem the original canard had when entering rain. Because of a laminar design, that canard, when contaminated with tiny droplets of water, lost some lift, and you were forced to pitch up, increasing it's angle of attack, meanwhile increasing lift, but at the cost of up to 10 knots. Roncz designed a new one, with the flared-up endings, that works very well in both dry and wet. The flight I did just days ago was my first flight with the new Roncz canard.I have around 150-200 hours of Long EZ, most of them with the original canard, and after a trip to Recife, in the very north of Brasil (12.5 hours flight time), and some encounters with precipitation, I urge any Long EZ owner that has not switched to the new canard yet to do it ASAP.Again, I will be here until Monday, so if you want any detailed pictures, or anything else I might be able to help with, please let me know.Meanwhile I am having a ball with your design. Thank you so much.

>Bob do you know of where I can find a 3-view of rutan's >burkute? The Burkut was not designed by Rutan. I don't remember the designers name (Local SoCal guy I think) it was designed as the ultimate Ez type (others out there also like EzRacer)...More attention to aerodynamics, Carbon Spars, more power. Do a search on Google and you'll find info.....

Fabio where can I find a 3-view of a burkute I think rutan made a burkut not sure though and can you find me a 3view of a volocity RG XL?

Guest Fly1

Hey Awash,Do a search on the net for BERKUT, or Rutan. There are a couple of sites. Look through all of the photo sections.Bob C.

Guest Fly1

Thanks Fabio, always love those little bits of background info. I realized the original rudders were spring loaded and went out only, but I didn't know of a way to do this in FS, so just went for the standard rudder. Boy I wish I was down there with you!!!!!!!!Take Care Bro!Bob C.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello Awash.Unfortunatelly I do not have the plans or three-view drawings for either the Berkut or the Velocity RG, but if you can't find them on the net, try searching at your local library for old copies of Sport Aviation or Kitplanes magazines.