Sign in to follow this  
Guest X-ray

How to fly this SID and NDB approach in a B734?

For the DP, it's just how it shows visually on the picture. When your ADF needle lines up with the BX radial at 58 degrees outbound, that's when you need to be flying straight. You're flying straight out from BX on the 58 degree bearing, however, you must turn to intercept it because you're displaced from your takeoff. Your ADF will be pointing to 238 and behind. At least that's what it looks like to me.For the NDB approach, you need to be on the 158 degree bearing inbound when crossing the NDB, then after 2 minutes you will turn to 360 to line up with the runway.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Guest CRJ700FO

do you know about "push the head, drag the tail" in relation to tracking NDB bearings?

Guest X-ray

>For the DP, it's just how it shows visually on the picture. >When your ADF needle lines up with the BX radial at 58 degrees>outbound, that's when you need to be flying straight. You're>flying straight out from BX on the 58 degree bearing, however,>you must turn to intercept it because you're displaced from>your takeoff. Your ADF will be pointing to 238 and behind. >At least that's what it looks like to me.So I know I'm on the correct bearing when I'm heading 058

Guest CRJ700FO

it's simply an statement that helps you remember what to do when you get off course navigating using an NDB. the RMI simply points to the station.when you are going to a station trying to track the 360 heading the needle's head will be pointing on 360 when you are on the 360 bearing to the station. it will remain on 360 until:a) wind blows you off that bearing; or:( you pass the stationlets look at both:a) if the wind is from the west it is pushing you right of course and the needle will start to swing to the left (as you are now right of the station). to get back on course you will turn into the needle (ie "push the head") and correct for the wind such that 360 is maintained constantly. with a light west wind an initial 355 heading may hold you on a 360 ground track and bearing to the station. it would be the opposite if the wind was from the east.:( once close to the station the needle will start behaving a little erratic. simply hold your current heading until the needle does a full reversal indicating station passage. now the needle's head is pointing behind you. using the above example with no wind, it would be pointing to 180 now. it will remain on 180 until the wind blows you off that bearing. if the wind is from the west you are right of course and the needle is pointing to the left (about 6:30-7:00 o'clock) behind you. to now get back on course you turn to the left (and thus "drag the tail" with you) until the RMI is pointing to 180. you will then have to make a slight adjustment for the wind to hold that 180 bearing from the station.using the above examples can you now see how you can hold a bearing 058 from (238 to) the station? you can use this site to practice:http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/

Guest X-ray

Roger, now I understand what you mean. I will try it out asap. Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate this!Kind regards,Bart