Sign in to follow this  
Cessnaflyer

Bizare plan to place adverts close to major runways

Is there to be no escape from advertising? In Portland Oregon where I live, our streetcars now have audio adverts timed to the location of the journey. "Want a GOOD hot dog? Joe's has the best. On your left at the next stop."I find todays agressive 24 X 7 marketing of EVERYTHING intrusive and a turn-off.Caveat venditor (Latin for "let the seller beware")Cheers,bthttp://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSL2490379720070925LONDON (Reuters) - Advertisers aiming to reach high-flyers with no alternative distraction will soon have a new method: adverts the size of three football pitches seen by plane passengers coming in to land.

There is a company pitching an internet scanning program.It will listen to VOIP calls, and based on certain words used in the conversation - send advertising browser windows to the computers of the people on the call - in real time.They are also working to make it scan and happen with IM's.Jack - What's for dinner tonight?Jill - I was thinking about chinese food.Both computers pop-up "Egg Foo Yang for the best made to order Chinese takeout - Call 972-555-1212 now and your order will be ready for pickup on your way home!"

It's getting more like Blade Runner all the time.I heard something on the news about Heathrow advertising on runways. I know it can't be billboards. :)RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Wait it won't be long before they start poping up on your Blackberry.Dave F.

If they advertise the fbo where the cheapest fuel is on final I am all for it!It is tiresome...ads on grocery store floors, restaurants with 10 tv's playing different channels so conversation will be optional- now this-imho along with a lot of other stuff is reminiscent of what brought down the Roman Empire-but thank god since history isn't taught in most schools today, it will be yet another new experience in the sad progression of human beings.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest PARADISE

And I thought I was the only one seeing the correlation between today's western society and that of the Roman Empire. Even if we did make a better attempt at teaching history remember that old saying, "history repeats itself". So maybe it's best that we don't see what's coming....... life won't seem so repetative.John

Aviation advertising has a history almost as long as aviation. Along with airport names painted on roofs, there were many businesses which painted ads on their roof, or roof's near airports.There is a school in Grapevine TX just north of the KDFW west cargo complex with a Dr. Pepper ad painted on the roof. It is positioned so that people landing on the west side of the airport from the north, or taking off to the north will have a nice view of the ad.

What's a blackberryRhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

True enough: A selection from the book by Henry Kisor about The Vin Fiz (aircraft is on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum)Cal Rodgers's arrival at Elmira, NY Late in the afternoon of September 22, 1911, the city fathers of Elmira rang the fire bells when they heard that the birdman was on his way. At Binghamton forty air miles east, Rodgers had landed for a short interlude to let the crowds see Vin Fiz close up while he dutifully pitched Armour's grape drink to them. Crowds spilled into Elmira's streets to look for Vin Fiz as she approached from the south. Cal touched down on the fairgrounds without notable incident, except for an exchange with a young girl who was the first to greet the aviator. According to the Elmira Star, Rodgers asked her, "This Elmira?"

BT, is this on Trimet or the 'trolleys' that go from the waterfront (now extended to the new towers on the waterfront) to up around 21st ave?or are we talking about that single old diesel car thing that runs up from I think Lake Oswego? to I dont know where it stops.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Hi Mike. It's dem new-fangled trollies that grace our fair "City of Roses", not the MAX.I asked the conductor, "Whats with the adverts, are the MAX trains next"? He told me that no, the trollies are a psuedo-privately owned system, operated by Trimet for local non-profits. That's why the ads...to make money for the non-profits.At least that's what I was told. The ads are fact. Go ride one of the "Portland Streetcars" and check it out.Cheers,bt

I think Minority Report would be a better analogy. Taiwan has always looked like Blade Runner, and I imagine much of the rest of the Far East looks like that.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

OK, I will check it out - see whats ups

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K