Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milton

How to cut passenger windows??

Guest Gangi

Hi,can anyone give me a good method to cut windows in Gmax, especially passengers, the boolean tool is really a big mess for verticles and polys.Cheers,Aviel

Yep .. Make sure your fuselage is EDITABLE POLY.. then create a new spline the right size and shape for your window .. Clone and reposition this as many times as you need to cut the windows then use SHAPEMERGE (next to Boolean) to cut the windows..

Guest Milton

The key to using boolean is to remove the fuselage smoothing before doing the operation. I did an illustrated tutorial for the overall process which can be found over at FFDS Tutorial section, but I had not learned the secret of removing the smoothing first. Add that step and that's the best I know to do. Thanks to Firestriker for that "unsmooth'ing" tip.http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tutorials.htmlIt is called "Making Windows"Milton

Guest Gangi

Thanx for the eips on boolean and the new way ;)its working nowMilton, about your toturial i didnt understand the part to make it 3D if i make a poly 3D then it going out side the fuse**EDIT** umm in the way with the shape merge. i still get some little strange reactions in the polys next to the spline, polys is less round, less smooth

Guest Milton

This doesn't totally eliminate the issues, but it significantly reduces them using Boolean. Also as mentioned above, it does help to convert to editable poly first.The 3D is one way, certainly not the only, to give your windows or fuse depth. The extrusion of the windows must be negative, about 2" is good, then a positive extrusion of the same distance. This essentially builds sides around the windows. I do not like this as well as you end up with a double the polys on the sides.The technique I use on smaller aircraft is to clone the fuse for the inner fuse walls, select and flip all the polys. Then for the walls around doors and windows, select the adjacent polys and extrude them in a positive direction (inward) 1.5"- 2".Milton