Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Super newbie Gmax question

Hi all gmax:ers out there! I'm REALLY new to gmax (I think an hour now) but i have some experience with 3d studio max 3 and 4. I need to know how to get the makemdl.exe converting my gmax files to mdl. And my gmax export "button" (my english is not too good either) is unklickable when i make a normal teapot and should try to export it.Anyone out there PLEASE HELP ME!!!! I want to begin making newbie planes as fast as possible!!!!!

I have FS2002pro (I've purchased it yesterday, had std before). Now have I copied the 2 files into my "c:/gmax/plugins" and when I try to exprt a sample gmax first says: "Flight SImulator models are specified in meters. This model is not stored in meters, but the exported file will be in meters. Check to make certain the dimensions of the model are correct." and after some time it says: "MakeMDL was not found or failed to convert the model the model specified in C:/hello' to a .mdl flie. Check your system path to ensure MakeMDL is on it" does this mean i shall get another copy of MakerMDL.exe and paste it into C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM ??? I will try to fix it at my self but if i don't make it i need your help! And thanks wsieffert, your help made me come a long step but not all the way, unfortunately.

Guest cwright

THat error message about checking the system path is extremely misleading. 99 times out of 100 the problem is with the model and has nothing to do with the installation. When this happens look in the aircraft model directory. There you should find an error log which will hopefully tell you what the *real* problem is. Best regards, Chris

>I have FS2002pro (I've purchased it yesterday, had std >before). Now have I copied the 2 files into my >"c:/gmax/plugins" and when I try to exprt a sample gmax >first says: "Flight SImulator models are specified in >meters. This model is not stored in meters, but the exported >file will be in meters. Check to make certain the dimensions >of the model are correct."In GMax Preferences, set the system to "1 Unit = 1 Meter." You may choose to display a different measurment system within GMax if you wish.The second 'error message' was a result of the first error. Once you've set GMax correctly, all should work well.Of course, any model you've already created (like the teapot) will now be 900' tall in FS2k2, but you can "Select ALL" and use the "Uniform Scale" tool to reduce it to a manageable size!Have fun!

>In GMax Preferences, set the system to "1 Unit = 1 Meter." >You may choose to display a different measurment >system within GMax if you wish. >>The second 'error message' was a result of the first error. >Once you've set GMax correctly, all should work well. >>Of course, any model you've already created (like the >teapot) will now be 900' tall in FS2k2, but you can "Select >ALL" and use the "Uniform Scale" tool to reduce it to a >manageable size! >>Have fun! I've done what your told me to do and the first error message doesn't some up anymore but the second still does. When i choose file/export and selects flight simulator aircraft (.mdl) in the roll down list and presses the save button the processing meter goes up to 90% and then i see the MakeMDL window come up for a few seconds and then the second error message comes up and after that (it came up before also but i forgot to write about it) "export module failure"

This is a problem of the exporter not liking something about your model. It's sometimes a bit difficult to diagnose. I know that I and Udo (PhLem) have had problems exporting any objects created with semi-spheres (we both used them to make the spinners on our propellers). Solution was to make them a different way, instead. Does anyone know if upgrading MakeMDL helps these problems (I'm still using the original)? Or is there something else? Why shouldn't a teapot export? Does converting it to editable mesh/editable poly help?Matt

But that error message did come up when i tried to export a sample plane for gmax, then it was a lot of things in the plane's consturtion it didnt like. But does anyone know a update? This one is pretty disturbing when gamx says so. And thanks a LOT everyone wich has helped me! If anyone knows something good to say to a gmax newbie wich you self had big trouble with when you also were a newbie, so please write it. I need all help i can get.

Guest odog

Matt, You should upgrade to the newest MakeMDL from the SDK. It solves a whole slew of export issues. Dealing with errors is a bonus for working with Gmax... Include File errors, Co-located Vertices, Scale matrix without scale animation...its SUNDAY! The more complex the model, the more common the errors... Mostly due to modeling methods or constraints of the MakeMDL. The better you get at modeling the less you see of these errors.There's some tricks for certain types of errors, if he's scaling the teapot, then you'd think hed get a scale error. to fix go to...HEIRARCHY/ AFFECT HEIRARCH ONLY then under "reset" hit TRANSFORM and SCALE.Sometimes gmax is just in a bad mood. Seriously, Ive had nights where it seemed nothing would export without an issue. I then quit and swore of the max forever. The next day, everything was fine, no errors or anything...so sometimes you have to yell at it and call it names, that works.Im a big fan of Middleman and MDLcommander, they make dealing with complex models easier. good luck,joe

Now i have another different question: Have anyone of you guys seen a menu wich looks like mine:

Yes, it has been posted numerous times on various sites. You will have to open your preferences and change the font. I don't use GMax enough to tell you what to change.You might also sign up at http://www.gmaxsupport.com/ and look over the FAQs.