Sign in to follow this  

Dynamic shine/material parameters question

It's a params of material which have that dynamic shine. As you all know by now, it's control;led by prams in lines 3 and 4. But could anyone shed some light on the purpose of the last line in the list? Does it have influence on dynamic shine fx? Material fuse_10 { 0.588000; 0.588000; 0.588000; 1.000000;; 70.000000; 0.400000; 0.400000; 0.400000;; 0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000;;

Hey Xomer,The last value is the color value I believe. (0.0 being black and 1.0 being white). At least that is what they wrote in another thread...Here are the lines I used. It seems to work pretty well on smaller planes like Maule:Material fuselage0 { 0.588000; 0.588000; 0.588000; 1.000000;; 70.000000; 0.500000; 0.500000; 0.500000;; 0.500000; 0.500000; 0.500000;; TextureFileName { "maule_t.bmp";http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/mmniemi/shots/chicken3.jpgMikko http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/mmniemi/shots/banger.gif

Mikko Maliniemimmniemi@hotmail.com

Yes, but the color of what does it control? Because the color of shine is controlled by #4 line.BTW, this little airplane on the screeny looks really nice. Also noticed it but with skis in the other thread here - and, if my eyes do not lie - the skis were lpaced with the other angle in-flight than on the ground. Great effect!

Material X { red,green,blue,alpha; :)Chris File

Guest PhLem

Thank you for the explanation Chris. This is exactly what info I needed. Now I know what everything does.Udo.:-wave

Thank you. I going to try playing with emissive colors asap. Also, writting a smallish step-by-step for other people obout specular highlits in gmax->MSFS.

Guest odog

Ahhh...nice work guys, the fog is lifting!Adjusting the spec color really makes it!I'd like to point out something I learned about the Specular Level. Inside gmax when you increase the Specular Level to 999 it looks like it is making the hightlight wider. However, MakeMDL seems to reverse these numbers. 999.0000 seems to make the highlight smallest and as you lower it, it seems to make the highlight wider... its backwards. Keep up the good work all!joe

Just out of curiousity, when you guys are creating this effect, are you ONLY adjusting the spectral properties of the material, or do you combine this with reflective textures? Can you create enough dynamic shine that you don't have to bother with the reflective textures?- Martin

Guest odog

hey, Well, They are really two seperate things. The dynamic shine is more of an effect that reflects light, but reflective textures tend to reflect more of the environment. We combined them on our Nomad release, and I think the combo works better than either one alone. so in short I guess the answer is no, dynamic shine cannot replace reflective textures.joe

Thanks for the clear summary (I was getting lost in the last thread ), I need to play with this stuff.Anyone tried using emissive color to do night lighting? Might make a cool landing light if you could get it to "glow" brightly enough.Matt

In fsds 2 it can simply be narrowed down to two entries.spectral color and power. these values must be tweaked according to the aircraft type and construction. It looks better to combine the effect with an actual alpha reflections channel so that you don't have an aircraft that looks like a vinyl RC model.Best,Bob HayesEagleSoft VP