Sign in to follow this  
Guest jlwoodward

Texture for a light

Guest jlwoodward

This here thingy on the wing is supposed to be a landing light. Could someone help me out with a recommendation for colors to make it look like glass or plastic? RGB numbers would be the best thing for me to work with. I am using PSP7 and FSDS2. Could I use a gradient to make it look like it has reflections?Thanks,John Woodward

Guest jlwoodward

Just finished cutting the part out. I made a reflective texture using the same color shown, but it doesn't look very good. There might be some planes in my collection with wing lights, so I will look through and see what color they are using.P.S., Mikko- I am also looking for a prop texture that has the decal on it, or just the decal that I can cut and paste. Do you know where I can get one?John Woodward

Try not using a texture at all. Instead, edit the material of the light to make it transparent. Try using a material colour of grey with an alpha of 127 - this would be applies to the part you cut out of the wing, NOT the wing itself. This is what I did, and then I made the actual lights (light.landing, light.taxi) behind the transparent cover that I had cut out from the wing.the two lights, (light.landing, light.taxi) I gave a colour of whitish and an emissive power of 255, so they obviously provide the actual lighting when you turn those lights on. The cover-part that I cut out from the wing does nothing, except remain transparent.The nav light and strobe light I renamed and I do not use these names in FSDS2. Instead, I made these parts white/red/green and transparent so in daytime you can see it , and it sort of looks like glass but it does not light up. For the actual lighting of these parts, I just used the light section in the aircraft.cfg file.- Martin

Guest jlwoodward

Martin,Thanks for the post. This is good information and now I know where to start.John Woodward