Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Announcing the USAF T-37B Tweet !!!

Oh, and might I suggest sir that you get in contact with a scenery-design guru and maybe do a laughlin/randolph/columbus/ or vance scenery? You could really put together a whole package for this thing, with adventures, manuals, and the lot! Well, I'm sure there are some security issues involved with the training aspect, but it's just an idea.Regards,Phil Geddes

Depends on where you go. I heard that some bases already have T-6 squadrons, but they still use Tweets. I know that Vance and Sheppard are going to get them last, and that they may still be around until 2007. So the Tweet still has alot of life left.Good luck on getting selected!

Well, it looks pretty good. The one thing that bothers me are the engines. Looking at T-37 pics, you really can't see the inlet cone found in the previews. It should be smaller and closer to the body of the aircraft. I too am going up for pilot selection boards with the USAF. I'm sure the T-37 is going to be around for quite awhile, even though the T-6 fleet is growing and becoming more operational. Look at the B-52, almost 50 years! There's plenty of time left on the T-37 airframes.http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...-37-dvic261.jpghttp://www.globalsecurity.org/military/sys...-37-dvic262.jpg

Actually... I've already done it for Vance. It won't be included with the Tweet because it would make the file size 400mb.Still some things to finish on the scenery but I'm busy enough with the Tweet, and real life flying duties :-)

Hi there. FYI, the "inlet cones" are actually starter-generators. We are still working on this and the inlets aren't yet finalized. They haven't even been smoothed out yet. But don't worry, they will look good. Good luck on getting selected. This bird was fun to fly. Most pilots agree that the most fun flying they ever did in the AF was in the Tweet.

Thanks. For those of you who are interested in a good T-6A Texan II fro FS2002, search for texan at www.avsim.com. The file name is t-6_v1.zipEnjoy!

Hmmm... I tried that one. I thought it was just a tad on the sensitive side. I'll have to give it another try!Sincerely,Phil Geddes

I must say this looks like a fantastic bird. I just hope its up to the very high standard set by the freeware T-38 released by FSD! It looks great though. I wonder if it will have a custom sound set as well? The Tweet has a distinctive very high pitched whine (Loud!) that aliasing to some lear or 737 wont match.Looking forward to adding this one to the collection!Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Wow!I am dying to BUY the finished product...screw the "EASY TO BLAME" attitude displayed earlier in the posts ("This is only high level freeware"). Baloney. Here is my question-- will one of the liveries be the natural metal Tweet of the mid-60s? That would be AWESOME!Can't wait...I'm buying AS SOON AS IT COMES OUT!COUNT ME IN!!!!!!!KentP.S. Perhaps an A-37 sometime downstream (pretty please?)...or at least a T-37C (a standard T-37 with the teardrop tip tanks...as flown by Brazil...I have attached a pic for your amusement)THIS AIRPLANE BEGS TO BE IN NATURAL METAL!

>So to Mr. Samdim I say, before you go shooting down other >people

Hey, Samdim, First I want to say to the t37 team, great job! I'm quite familiar with the aircraft myself, and I feel it's spot on, however, my perspective may be a bit different than Samdims. Samdim, those models you've mentioned are pretty, but I think the problem you might have is, and where the value of this product comes to play, is pure functionality and purpose. This particular product seems more a tool for real world training and application (why else would they put in a TACAN.. has no other use for average FS users). Air Force pilots use large, expensive sims for instrument familiarization, but the graphics have never been of the quality of FS. No offense, but as a training supplement for real world pilots, I see far more value in this than most payware aircraft, and of course, freeware. I happen to be quite intimate with the T-37, having been around quite a few over the years, and from what I see, there's no real problem. The flaps are extremely simple, almost the same as the flap structure on Cessna 182's (both happen to be Cessna products). The main gear are extremely simple, single pipe structure system with 3 strut link... really not much more to it. I like how they have a chipped paint effect the main gear. Looking at the VC pictures, I see that i'll be able to use the canopy frame and mirror positions to properly line up with another t37's fuselage warning panels under the canopy to maintain a fingertip formation, which appear to be discernable from a pretty good distance in FS. Can't wait to try this thing in multiplayer.I'd like to see how and whats modelled in the instrumentation, because after all, if it's really going to be functional as a training tool, it needs to have the absolute most accurate instrumentation... i don't want toys. Since the head guy is a USAF jock, I'm sure to expect the best. Real sound recording, eh? It's essential for the sounds to be as close as possible, because there are some tones you must have in there to accurately model some aspects of the aircraft operation. If the flight model is verified by T-37 instructors.. that's it, that's all I need. So, it really comes down to what you're looking for. If you want a "toy", get the other stuff, which is great stuff. If, especially I believe, you are someone who's in the pipeline for UPT selection, or currently a UPT student, this is for you. I hope they do the whole line of training aircraft, because the information the designer would have access to, I'd finally be able to get some "functional" birds for me FS.Off my soap box!Out,Paul

Guest JLambCWU

Exactly what part of tactical or trainer JET do you not understand?THERE IS NO OTHER EQUIVELANT OUT THERE WITH THE EXCEPTION OF OWEN HEWITTS T-38.I think you suffer from selective reading and thought process. :-lol TACTICAL JET, and TRAINING JET :-lol

Attention to detail is something we are paying close attention to. Most people probably won't realize these details since they aren't flying the Tweet in the T-37 program. For example, there is a beeping sound that you hear through the intercom anytime the gear is up and the throttle is retarded beyond 70%. When USAF pilot do an "overhead pattern" (something civilians rarely if ever do), you trim the tweet at the same rate the sound occurs. So you click the trim at every beep. If done properly, you end up in a perfectly trimmed condition on the closed downwind. It sounds pretty trivial, but maintaining altitude while using speedbrakes combined with a throttle reduction and a 60 degree bank turn can be pretty challenging. In the Tweet, "trim is your friend". And so the beep sounds we have are the same as that found in the real airplane, for this reason. Even more important, it beeps given the proper conditions. We also model the "whoosh" sound of the speedbrakes, gear and flaps that you hear at certain airspeeds. When they start dying down, you know that your setting yourself up for a stall on final approach.Another example of attention to detail are the rivets on the textures of the wings. We were taught to use the rivets and the fuel cap accordingly for visual spacing with the runway. You fly different patterns and configurations depending on whether you are doing dual or single engine overhead pattern. The external model was created to exact standards. The importance of this is realized during formation flight. If you align the flap hinge with the ejection triangle, you will come up the 30 degree line, properly positioning you for Fingertip formation. The seemingly unimportant small antennae at the bottom is used for alignment during other formation maneuvers. The most important design considerations revolved around the cockpit itself. Instruments had to be accurate. We didn't use phototextures for looks. We did it because specific parts of the instruments are used for reference. For example, the J-2 top "lips" are used for the "mercedes benz" method of determining entries in holding patterns using either the AIM or FAA methods. The geometry only works out if the compass card and instrument casings are of the exact proportions, hence the photographic textures. TACAN is another big winner for the instrumentation. If you look in your approach plates, you will often see TACAN approaches, but unless you are flying a military aircraft, you will not be able to fly the approach. In flight simulator, you take for granted that you can fly every approach. In real life this isn't the case. The real Tweet is very ill-equipped to fly complex approaches. You need TACAN for a DME source. Not to mention, there are certain syllabus required approaches at the training bases which are TACAN based non-precision approaches. Vance AFB has a notorious jet penetration based solely off TACAN that is used for checkrides. Anyone who is modelling a Tweet without having TACAN modelled might as well just leave out all the navigation radios because you would get about the same effect either way. If you look closely at the "HSI looking" instrument, you will notice that it's not an HSI. It's a Course Indicator, which is a "poor man's HSI". I guarantee you that it functions nothing like any HSI device on any flightsim aircraft. Back when I was in training, I had a real hard time learning to use this instrument because there's nothing else like it in the world. It just didn't make sense like a typical HSI does. We model every last detail of the CI because anything less would be useless for training. Please do remember that the screenshots are just previews of an unfinished product. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I'm more than happy to talk about this airplane.