Sign in to follow this  
Guest bartels

To Arne Bartels - help with sd2gau13.zip

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Arne.I am finally getting into the gauge making field, and downloaded sd2gau13.zip. Great document! I have a question that I decided to post after searching the forum up to 1 year ago, with no luck.I have Visual C++ installed, and tried to following the instructions on how to set it up to compile .gau files. I copied CVARS32.BAT to the SDK/Samples directory from MS's SDK. Then, the instructions, as you know, go like this:2. Create a shortcut to run vcvars32.bat in the same directory as the batch file. Right-click on the new shortcut and click on Properties. Open the Program tab and select the contents of the Cmd line box, then cut it and paste it back into the Batch file box. Edit the now blank command line to read

What is a batch file - CVARS32.BAT (vcvars32.bat) are batch files, i.e., *.BAT or batch!! You can open a batch file with Notepad or Wordpad. DOS forever!!!!:-lolI would open Windows Explorer to the folder that contains the CVARS32.BAT (vcvars32.bat), right click on a blank area of the right pane, select NEW, Shortcut. It will ask where is the file you want to shortcut to..., either type the folder/file name or browse to the folder/file (CVARS32.BAT (vcvars32.bat)). Once select, click OK. Since you made the shortcut in the folder of the above files, you should see the shortcut appear in the list.Right click the shortcut, select properties, and it will open a tabbed selection. WinXP doesn't provide the same things as Win98/ME. I think you will probably have to just stick with the default. One area you might adjust is the window size so you can see what types of errors you might receive.I asked a question the other day about outputting an error file. A poster named Marcel wrote:"Hi,stderr can be output (with stdout) in a file on Win2000/WinXP/WinNT:> 2>&1examplecompile.bat >C:compoutput.txt 2>&1Regards,Marcel"I haven't tried this yet and not sure I really understand the line sequence but it would help in tracking errors, since the Command Line screen flies by too fast to read anything. Of course, if I was a good gauge designer, then I wouldn't need it!:-lol

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey William.Thanks a lot for the help. here is another question. The vcvars32.bat file they mention in the document was found by me in the BIN folder inside my Visual C++ installation. So I copied it to the SDKSamples, like the document asks for.If what you described above is correct, I will create a shortcut in the BIN folder of my Visual C++ installation, to conect to the VCVARS32.bat that is in my SDKSamples, right? But there is already the original VCVARS32.bat in this BIN folder. Is this the correct procedure?

From the instructions, you are to copy the vcars32.bat from your VisualCBin folder to your SDKSample folder. Next you edit the new copy in your SDKSample folder by adding the proper pointer to your path= line (See instructions).Next in the same folder of the new copy vcars32.bat, you make your shortcut. Instead of c:command.com, you will probably use drive:Windowssystem32cmd.exeI hope this makes sense!

Guest Fabio Miguez

Almost, William, almost!I have created a shortcut in the same directory as m,y copy o VCVARS32.BAT, but then sd2gau13 goes on cutting the contents of the Cmd line box (which I am assuming Windows XP calls Target) and "pasting it back into the Batch file box.". this is where I get lost. What is the Batch file box? sd2gau13 goes on, asking you to "Edit the now blank command line (is this really the Target line in Properties in Windows XP?) to read c:command.com".I see what you mean with drive:Windowssystem32cmd.exe, but I want to make sure I am doing this right, since I do not understand why all of this is going on. Why should I have a shortcut for the batch file in the same directory? Why is this shortcut, besides pointing to VCVARS32.BAT, also poiting to cmd.exe in my Windows folder, if you are correct?Still haven't ben able to compile any gauges, but at least that gives me time to read on. I am learning about Macros, now, and it looks like I will be spending many hours programming :-).Thank you for your time, William.

Guest bartels

It has been quite long ago since I last made gauges with the "makefile" method in VC++ so I have to look it up. Apart fom that I can only say something to Win98 and not to XP or similar. Independent of the sytem you run, the "IDE" method works without any fiddling with a makefile. Create a "DLL" project, add the main.c and main.rc (and only these!) and compile.Arne Bartels

Guest bartels

>Also, the MAKEFILE file I have from the SDK has no extension. What should it be?The name should be exactly "makefile" no extension needed. All make (BCC GCC) and nmake (VC) programs use traditionaly "makefile" as default input filename. It is possible to use other filenames, but then you need a syntax like : "nmake /f makefile.mak" (VC) or "make -f makefile.mak" (GCC BCC).Arne Bartels

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Arne!Good deal, I have just compiled my first gauge using the IDE! Uhuuuuuuuu! Very excited! Too bad I have to go to class now, but thanks for all the help. Now it is on to read more of the "book sd2gau13 is. I am very thankful to all who helped to write this great compilation.