Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Tricky little devil

I am at the end of my very short rope!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!I am trying to animate elevator trim in FSDS2. It is a "stock animation" and not a keyframe animation. Problem is, stock animator does it in reverse. I have tried flipping all the axis and it still moves the same way no matter what I do to the axis. I am also trying to animate a trim indicator that moves around the Y axis rather than the X axis like the elevator tabs do. Tricky little FSDS makes the part move exactly the same as the tabs. GRRRRRRRR. Anyone dare to tackle this one?Thanks

Guest Dee Waldron

Are sure the tab is really moving in reverse? I ask such a strange question because I can't think of why it would move in reverse.On the Boeing 247D model that I built in FSDS2, the elevator trim tab is a child of the elevator. Then I set the axis position and angle of the elevator, lastly reset the tab position, then its axis position and angle. Works like a beauty! Tab moves down for nose up and moves up for nose down.I made a much more complicated stabilator trim for my DC-8 models. It also works perfect without reversing the axis.Dee Waldron (HJG)

hmmmmm, I made it a child part of elevator, and set the axis, yet for up elevator, it goes up and reverse for down. The other part is the indicator in the cocpit . I want it to rotate around the y axis but it always defaults to x no matter what I do.

I think it is always going to rotate around the x-axis, so the trick is to move the axis without moving the part. Look at my picture for more details. If it is moving on the correct axis, but in the wrong direction, then the "X" needs to point in the other direction, so just rotate the axis 180 degrees instead of 90. In the first picture, if the part is moving around the correct axis, but in the wrong direction, you need to rotate the "axis only" around so that the "Z" (in this case) is pointing the other direction.For another example, look at the original picture of my trim wheel. In this case, if you wanted the wheel itself to point in a different direction (as in your particular case, I think) you would rotate the entire part. If you try rotating 2 axis's at once, you might not get the exact result you were expecting, since FSDS2 seems to process one rotation first, and then the second, which has now moved, and so it might be simpler to rotate the part in two stages.Anyway, once you get the part where you want it, then play around with the axis trying to get it into place. Remember to select the "axis only" box when you want to move the axis.I hope this makes sense, but you seem to have a pretty good grasp of what is going on here already. This "should" work - it has never failed me.- Martin

Shaka, Thanks a million. I was rotating the axis by 90 degrees only and that was where the problem stemmed from. I was able to fix the indicator so that it worked fine also. I have one other trim issue still. I have tagged a rudder trim and an indicator, and neither moves at all. Is this an FSDS bug,a FS bug, or is there something in the air or config file that would overwrite any animation? Like I said, I have tagged it in stock animation as rudder_trimtab and nothing happens???

The trimtabs actually don't seem to move a whole lot. On my TB-9, the elevator trimtab could be seen to be moving, because you need a lot of trim, and it is fairly large, but on the rudder, it is not so obvious, and you probably wouldn't use as much. If it is all tagged correctly, you should see it if you take a close look though.