Sign in to follow this  

Reference data needed.......Poly count!

Hello, I'd just like to know some reference numbers for verteces or faces relative to frame reate hit. EX: ### number of verteces give Large FPS hit, ### number of verteces give medium FPS hit, etc....Thanks!

Guest panzerschiffe

This might help you a littleFS default Cessna 182 RG - 3107 polygons/9,321 verticesFS Boeing 737-400 - 5,002/15,006FS Boeing 747-400 - 6,001/18,006FS Painter's MD-11 - 7,663/22,989Project Opensky A330 - 16,071/48,213Project Airbus A320 - 23,780/71,340Flightcraft A340 - 25,040/75,120Meljet 777 - 39,067/117,201Although large polygon/vertices counts to hurt FPS, it's been my experience that very large detailed textures (several 1024 x 1024 for example) can also hurt FPS very much. Depends on your video card.

Guest Milton

My experience in flying alone is that higher counts up to 80,000 even do not hurt me on my AMDII 350 with 384meg, and PCI 32 meg Video card.Textures do hurt me worse than anything - card related. Prop mesh can be very painful.However, for multiplayer and AI, high counts are killers to fps. I would recommend default aircraft values for MP and AI.Milton

Guest panzerschiffe

Ideally with AI aircraft you'd set up different LOD models to maximize performance, but more models = more time...-AV

Well, this is tested and approved by many of modelers :) It's almost as a standard to me: the best performance/detail level yuo'll get if keep it below 20.000-25.000 polys for exterior. Also keep in mind that quantity of 1024 sized texture sheets will slow-down rates and increase load-times - if you are able to pack all textures for the model on one sheet of 1024x1024 - do it! The poly-count for DVC hould be determined individually for each model - 10.000 is higher burden to me - but someetimes may be increased a little...This works for most middle-end machines such as 1.5 GHz + GeForce 2,3.:) I wish all developers had followed this...

Guest panzerschiffe

Placing all textures on a single 1024 x 1024 sheet kind of ties the hands of painter's behind their backs...it's very difficult to place lots of details on a single sheet of textures. Ask any serious painter and they'll tell you they'd much rather prefer a set of separate textures rather than having them all on one sheet.-AV

Well guys! Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I was looking for!Good news for you guys....maybe you've seen my DASH-8 projuect in the screenshot forum ( http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...rum=DCForumID47 )......well, here is the current poly and vertex count:Exterior: 6708 poly's and 8360 vertecesinterior: 6212 and 7630Not bad eh? I'll Add 1000-2000 tops for each one by the time i'm finished, but not too shabby, eh?

The DC-2 will be around 10000 poly's for exterior and another 20000 for the complete interior.The 757 will be around 17000 poly's for the exterior. No interior has been planned yet...