Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

mdl or mpi?

Guest jlwoodward

I was just getting ready to zip up an update which requires only changing the mdl file. However, the model folder has a mdl file and a mdl.mpi file. None of my other aircraft have a mpi file. So:1. What is mpi?2. Can I replace just the mdl or do I need to include both?3. Can I delete the mpi without creating a disaster?Thanks,John Woodward

mpi files have been seen with FSDS 1.x/Aircraft Animator releases. I know there's an option with FSDS 2 to compile A/C in FS2000 format. Perhaps this option was inadvertently checked?Also, saw your great work on the Lake--fantastic. I never mentioned that the Ercoupe seems to have the same issue with the windows that was discussed with the Lake.... Wonder if that's the model you're updating :)

Guest jlwoodward

Although I didn't know the Ercoupe had the problem, I did reorder the window textures in the update so it should be fixed. Guess I will need to look at the Seabee and P39 next.John Woodward

mpi is simply a log file of the animation settings AA or FSDS1 used to compile a model with moving parts. It is not necessary (and maybe not even desireable) to distribute it. You can read it with a text editor if you're interested.Matt

Hi Matt and others:further along those lines - looking through my aircraft folders I noticed that some people placed more than one file in their model folder, such as .m00, .m01, or .mdl.nmp. Interestingly, the .nmp files are all either 1029kb or 70kb in size. Since space is at a premium on my hard disk I wonder which of these, if any, I can safely delete?Cheers, Holger

It's a bit of sloppy housekeeping...the *.m00, m01, mdl.nmp are backups made when using Aircraf Animator .. you can delete them safely. (or you can play around, seeing what condition the previous model spawns were at... backup your mdl file, rename the m00 or m01 etc. to mdl ... DO NOT delete the *.mdl (alone)

Hi Felix:Tsk, tsk, I knew it ;-) Thanks a lot for the information - that will give me an instant 30MB of hard disk space.Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the info, guys. Freed up some space on my drive too.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums Moderator[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest EdrickV

Very useful info. Cleaned up almost 30 megs here too. :)"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."