Sign in to follow this  

Landing Lights/FSDS 2

Here is a link to a thread I opened recently:http://ftp.avsim.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboa...orum=DCForumID8It details a rather odd problem with landing lights, and FS2002's effects engine, which is probably most utilized in Las Vegas. Basically, if you are in an FSDS 2 aircraft with a virtual cockpit and landing lights modelled, and switch between the virtual cockpit and cockpit view, viewing the area in Las Vegas where the fireworks "effect" is used will cause fps to choke--even if it is daytime and the fireworks are not displayed. Other effects seem to cause fps to degrade as well. This choke effect cascades to any aircraft used afterwards in FS, even if they are not FSDS 2. The only fix is to restart FS. This leads me to believe that the way Abacus is implementing landing lights in FSDS 2 is causing a challenge with the effects engine. I feel I noticed it in Vegas (so far, no where else) due to the number of effects used there. I believe this could prove a problem for the next version of FS, as I suspect the effects engine will be used even more. Just wanted to post a heads up, and perhaps some FSDS 2 designers might want to experiment with their .fsc files. I am not certain that the problem is limited to landing lights alone

Hi JohnThis sounds very much like a problem me & a few others have been having.We get AI aircraft being scrambled in cockpit view when the landing lights are turned on...http://www.maltbyd.fsnet.co.uk/VISCOUNT_ON.jpgOne smashed up Cesna.It's only a problem in cockpit view, only when landing or taxi lights are turned on & only with FSDS2 models. It is very consistent & seems to happen on all PCs to some degree.Anyway, the good news is that Louis Sinclair is aware of the problem & is working on it.RegardsDavid

Thanks Brian.... I copied the text of my post and posted it over there.Using the fsc file you forwarded to me, I noted that as soon as I removed the landing light from the virtual and exterior models, the issue didn't appear. Also, the issue doesn't appear under these conditions:1. No virtual cockpit or parts are modelled.2. "See Self" is set to 0 in FS2002.cfg, which essentially removes virtual cockpit "parts" from view when in cockpit mode.I'm fairly sure Louis will be able to isolate the problem and fix it. Support for FSDS 2 seems very good, considering the patches we've already received. Haven't had much chance to study FSDS 2 over the past two weeks. But I am feeling a bit more comfortable with my skills. Can't wait to try out some of my first ideas with it :)