Sign in to follow this  

Gauge nonlinearity table interpolation

Hello,I am designing some gauges for fs2002 and it would be useful if I knew the interpolation method microsoft uses for the nonlinearity table.So far I have tried some interpolation methods and algorithms on already built gauges but none seems to give me exact results to what is internally used by fs2002.I appreciate any piece of information.Thanks in advance.

Guest bartels

It is determined where in the nonlinearity array you are, and then linearly interpolated with the help of the two nearest array entries. It is therefore a piecewise linear interpolation.Arne Bartels

Thanks for your advice but I do not think piecewise linear interpolation is the right method except if microsoft simulates gauges errors and deviations. I have included the test measurements graph made for one of the gauges using an opengl program I have made for testing gauges bitmaps by reading the .xml options file. As one can see, the last part of the scale cannot be approximated by piecewise linear interpolation as there is deviation with maximum of 20 knots. I do not know how real-life instruments operate and if this amount of deviation is normal. I would appreciate any further suggestions.http://utopia.duth.gr/~elatanis/fs/test.gif

Guest bartels

So what? Drop in more nonlinearity points and you'll have it. And if nothing else helps, and you have the formula, why not use the formula instead of nonlinearities? I don't actually understand the problem.Arne Bartels

The only problem is that these measurements have been made on one of fs2002 gauges that came with the simulator. So, does nonlinearity table work properly or does microsoft uses another interpolation method?I do not know.Thanks anyway.