Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

Bill and Milton, I'm stuck

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello guys.Alright, back to basics here.I am trying the old technique of using a background image in 3ds. But I run into this problem.After the image is added, you can lock it so it will pan and zoom with that view, be it a top, side, or front view. Or you can unlock it so you can move the view around, or zoom in or out, without actually moving the image (which is the desired thing to do when you first load the image, for positioning).The problem is after I load the image, move the view around to where I want, and lock the background image, it snaps back to the original position it first showed up at.Is there a fix for this? I seem to have seen one before, but can't find it anymore.Oh, yeah, gmax does the same thing.Thanks in advance guys.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello Milton.Thank you for the response. But it seems the link on that page is broken. Could you let me know where else to get it? Or could I get it from you via ftp?

Guest Milton

Hello Aviel,I use the calibration box technique, sides/top/bottom poly's flipped, texture the inside of the box.Can you not access the link above? It works fine for me.Milton

>Hello guys. >>Alright, back to basics here. >>I am trying the old technique of using a background image in >3ds. But I run into this problem. I saw a technique listed on the gmax support forum that basically has you apply the 3-view images to planar objects and arrange them togethere to form a X pattern at the exact scale you need to create the model. Making the planar surfaces (nearly) transparent allows for a neat way to see through the images and see the relationships.Also, there is a standing offer over on the FFDS website to make a 'calibration box' for those who cannot manage on their own.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Sweetness!I hadn't thought of that, but it does make a lot more sense than just using a backdrop.Thanks Bill and Milton, you guys really helped (and Milton, no, the link is broken, I went to www.warillustrated.com/temp, and there are all sorts of images, but no 22MB tutorial).