Sign in to follow this  
Guest jlwoodward

FSDS 2 part copy question....

I am curious how one can copy a part, and create a "mirror" image of it...Example: The aft landing gear of an aircraft, such as a Cessna 172. Once the left side is created, is there an easy way to mirror the same series of parts on the other side of the aircraft?So far, I've created landing gear by copying the parts, then dragging them and rotating them in the proper place. I suspect there has to be an easier (and more accurate) way?-John

It's real easy. select the part you want to copy. hit ctrl c then ctrl v the part is now copied now select either the rear or top view. then click the transforem menu, flip, flip x (make sure the part axis has been reset first, any angles will screw it up) and voila.... you now can move it into position. Brian

If your part's axis is X=0, no problem, like Brian says - copy/paste then Transform->Flip->Flip X.if your part axis is NOT 0, say X=-1.254Copy/Paste (Parts Properties) change the sign of the x-axis (now X=1.254), enter.Your part has moved to it's "mirrored" locationNOW - do a "flip X"

Guest jlwoodward

My method, same as the other guys, except to avoid some mistakes that I make too often:1. Select the part. Make sure this part is current and no other parts are selected along with it. You can use the eyeglass icon to pick the part and verify the selection.2. Copy, then Paste. Notice the name changes only by adding a .1.3. Flip x.4. Now go into edit and edit part. Rename the part. Check the x location. If it is not zero, then reverse the sign.John Woodward