Sign in to follow this  
Guest adevins

Middleman 1.3 beta : Dynamic shine

Guest Phoenix 8

I`ve just added a bit to middleman that i should have done ages ago.Middleman will now (as long as you turn it on) take the x files, browse through them and multiply the specular power of the materials by 100 (meaning the value in the x file will be the same as you entered in gmax). Give it a go, set the specular power and colour in gmax and leave the rest to itself. I`ve tested it on several models without problems, if you want to check its not misbehaving then look through the x file once its done and you should find "Modified By Middleman 1.3" next to the specular powers in each material, if you find it anywhere else let me know.Click the link on my news page to download it... hope its useful to someoneChris Filehttp://thegreatptmd.tripod.com

>I`ve just added a bit to middleman that i should have done >ages ago. >>Middleman will now (as long as you turn it on) take the x >files, browse through them and multiply the specular power >of the materials by 100 (meaning the value in the x file >will be the same as you entered in gmax). Thank you! Now I don't have to worry 'bout learning to do it the "hard way!" :)

Guest Fly1

Chris,Very nice addition!!!!I have it working, but I have noticed it does not pick up any special color's applied to the specular area. Am I missing something?Bob C.

Guest Phoenix 8

can you give me an example?Chris File

Guest Fly1

Chris,I am working on a two tone effect, using the specular color (blue green, .200000 - .600000 -.800000) as the second color. Similar to metal flake paint jobs on cars and motor cycles.Below is an example of the Gmax environment, and also a shot from FS using manual settings.I also notice, after using your utility, some objects work and some don't. Currently wings, tips, canopy, vertical tail and rudder pick up, but fuselage dosn't. 3rd shot below is after applying Middleman. This problem though was also noticed in manual mode.Thanks!!Bob C.

Chris, have not tried new version yet, but seens it should work. Anbyway - great thanks for that addition! :) :-beerchug

Just confirming... everything's fine.But I can't understand which parameter needs to be changed in Gmax so specular color params will change from 1.00000 in the x file:

Guest Phoenix 8

The problem seems to be yet another fs model exporter quirk, when you export with no texture in the material the specular colour will carry over fine to the X file, but if you have a texture on the diffuse channel it will put a spec colour of 1.0 1.0 1.0 into the X file. (Which would probably explain that two tone effect nto working).What i suggest is that i make it so that when a texture is applied i take the diffuse RGB for that material and use that for the specular colour entry.Chris File

Guest Fly1

Just as a bit of feedback.This morning all objects appear to be receiving the specular effect.Hmmmmmm ...Bob C.

Guest Phoenix 8

I`ve just uploaded a new version that should sort the problems with the specular colour being set to white (whenever theres a texture in the diffuse channel of the material). See specular.htm in the zip for details on how to set the specular colour in the material editor.new versions on my news page http://thegreatptmd.tripod.comChris Filewww.phoenix-simulation.co.ukhttp://www.avsim.com/pss/phoenix.jpg

Everything's OK! Great job - really handy tool!Small notice - Be careful when using part color to paint an object - this tool may sometimes change a color of such part.

Guest Fly1

Hey Chris, me again.Found an interesting occurance using the latest version.My prop disc which is usually an opacity of 8, is now 80.I tried switching off the Fix Specular, then it was fine.Another Hmmmmmmmmmmm.Later Bob C.

Guest adevins

hi, I seem to be having one of the problems fly1 was having, the specular works fine on all my parts except the fuselage, Any ideas as to why it isnt working on it.ThanksAlan

Guest Phoenix 8

> Small notice - Be careful when using part color to paint an object - this tool may sometimes change a color of such part.Just uploaded beta 3 that should sort this problem out.http://thegreatptmd.tripod.comChris File