Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Piper Warrior PA-28 161

Guest fullstoplanding

Just wondering...does anyone know why the Warrior has two altimeters? I've never flown the real one, but I would imagine the JF FlyingClub X Warrior I have in FS 2004 has the same instruments as the real aircraft..My quess is that one of them is set at zero-elevation for training purposes when practising landings. In the '50s when I learned to fly in a two-place, side-by-side Taylorcraft the altimeter was set at zero. This was in Nedrow (Syracuse) NY where the field elavation was around 420-ft.--Roger

>Just wondering...does anyone know why the Warrior has two>altimeters? Not sure I follow. I have quite a bit of hours flying real Warrior (though last time I flew it must have been at least 10 years ago) but I don't recall ever having two altimeters. Care to provide some pictures?Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest fullstoplanding

Michael,I don't have a picture, but I quess I assumed since the JF sim-Warrior had two altimeters, the real ones did, too. My wrong. I did a Google search for PA 28 Warrior Instuments and found a site where I must have looked at over a half-dozen pictures of various Warrior panels. They were all different and none had two altimeters. I should Email the Just Flight folks and ask why their version has two altimeters. :-hmmm --Roger

The warrior I work in has two altimeters but that is because of the crap glass we have in it.

Guest christianholmes

Definitely only one altimeter in any of the warriors I fly. Usually broken autopilots, inop turn coordinators, broken DG knobs, transponders that sqwauk the wrong numbers etc... altitude is the least of my worries :)

Guest fullstoplanding

Be patient. The picture takes time to download...and I've got Road Runner wide band. I hadn't intended to post the picture, but rather, I cut and pasted the URL. :-walksmile

Using google I searched Piper Warriors II on the market - many of them feature good photos of exterior and interior. And to my suprise I did find one aircraft with two altimeters like you posted above. So it is quite rare but it could happen.If I were to criticize this particular rendition of the Warrior panel - the coloring is weird - pretty much all Pipers had tan instrument panel. Also the RPM gauge should have a 'normal' range colored in green.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest fullstoplanding

Michael,Ah, but the mystery...why two? Anybody have any ideas? :-hmmm Roger

I would rather have a back up attitude indicator.You can usually break the VSI and get the altimeter to work if you are in a non pressurized airplane.

>I would rather have a back up attitude indicator.>>You can usually break the VSI and get the altimeter to work if>you are in a non pressurized airplane.A good backup is a GPS with WAAS. My Garmin usually nails all those altitude signs on various mountain passes within 30' or less. It might vary a bit more with an altimeter, but then barametric pressure settings are not always spot one either, let alone altimeter error. The advantage with barametric pressure, is that everyones altimeter (in the same general airspace) will be "off" the exact altitude at the same time. :-hah The "panel" page on my Garmin does a decent job of showing "attitude" also. However, I do like the idea of having a backup electric attitude indicator, if the main unit is vacuum driven. Or even a second gauge operating off a seperate buss/battery, if the panel is all electric.L.Adamson

I am someone who lost my altimeter over not so far below hostile terrain in solid imc (among a couple other problems at the same time). I used my portable gps for altitude readout and asked atc to tell me if my transponder readout showed me getting of my assigned altitude. I did fine this way-but wouldn't have minded an extra altimeter that day.Perhaps someone in their club had the same experience? :-lolhttp://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/1b5baf...b9f427f694g.jpgMy blog:http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/