Sign in to follow this  
Guest dek

xml programming tool.....

Guest dek

Hi all,Is anyone interested in helping develop a program to aid in XML code writing?Would anyone even be interested in such a program?The program I have in mind is a program that would serve 2 purposes. The first would be as an aid to programmers when writing code. The other use would be as a learning tool for new programmers.I have included a little figure to show what I had in mind. Basically, you would type your code into a "code" window (using test values for the variables). When running, each click of the "next" button would take you to the next step. The results of each step, and the contents of each stack, would be listed at each step. A click could also bring up an explanation of the step in the "explanation" box. This would be extremely helpful for anyone wanting to learn this language.This is an idea that I haven't really thought alot about. But it seems to me it would be useful. If anyone is interested, then I'll think more about it.The creation of this program would require help from someone well versed in XML (or C++?)code writing.Happy flying! dek

Guest Kobie1244

I think that would be a cool idea! I wish I could help you write the program, but I dont know jack about programming. I hope somebody steps up to the plate...... I think that this would be a cool idea.

>Hi all, >>Is anyone interested in helping develop a program to aid in >XML code writing? As intriguing as such a concept is, I'm not sure that it would be all that facile in implementation. XML gauge code is often incredibly complex and convuluted...The most common mistakes in XML coding occur by failing to adhere to the unforgiving syntax requirements, and not using well-formed statements.The latter problem is easily handled by existing freeware XML editors (such as XML_Notepad.exe). The former would have to be learned by the programmer regardless of the tool used.What would be a great help in development would be a WYSIWYG display of the actual gauge as it is being built! :)I can do that now by having FS2k2 running with the under-construction gauge installed on a test panel, and running XML_Notepad on another machine (or a second monitor). However much fun it is to watch the gauge develop, it is still a bit of a kludge...A particularly nice feature of XML code though is that it is highly portable and reusable. It would be handy to have a library of prebuilt and tested code 'modules' available for everyone to use.Something that should undoubtedly be taken into consideration is the imminent release of FS:CoF. There are bound to be some changes (hopefully FIXES) to some of the missing k_events and other peculiarities of the current incarnation of XML. It might be counterproductive to start such a project now, only to find out that things have changed sufficiently to obviate the need of such a tool.Anyhow, that's my thruppence worth on the subject! :)

I'll second the Good Fathers request for a WYSIWYG XML gauge tool. I tried to make a simple gauge once.... It was kinda like me and GMax... Not compatible with the way my brain is wired :-lolBrian

Guest panzerschiffe

How does Easy Gauge work? Is that a sort of a WYSIWYG gauge creating tool?

Guest dek

Thanks for your comments Bill, I appreciate them. I'm not a programmer myself, and have only recently begun to learn XML.You clearly know far more about this subject than I, so I hesitate to disagree with you. (But I will a little bit.) Ha!Take care, Don