Sign in to follow this  
Mike S KPDX

Real Dash8-400 APU starting sequence.

Guest Sterk

I'm trying to add simple simulation of APU controls to my panel.Failed to find any info regarding this on the web,so...So the question may be for real Dash pilots or whoever,who knows.What is APU starting order in real Dash8-400?1.Power on2.BL AIR open3.Gen on4.Then START and in a few seconds Start button reads RUN?Is that correct sequence?And when APU should be turned off its done by pressing what?Thank you.

my neighbor and freind flys a 400 for Horizon Air here in Portland, I went over to ask him this for you but his is flying tonight. I will check again for you on Thursday night

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Guest Sterk

Thank you!It would be great help!

okie dokie...he is Sr Capt with about 8200 hrs and about 1400 PIC hrs in type (400)and has been with Horizon since 1986BATT - ONthis will engergize the shipBUS TIE - ONyou can start the APU with this off but you will not get any fire proctection annuciation, with this bus energized the fire detection loops are monitored on the APUBLEED - OFFthis may be specific to Horizon, the their 200's this is left on. in the 400 if this is left on prior to the APU start you can still start the APU but this valve will not cycle properly and may 'unseat'(?)APU PWR - ONthis provides power to the apu start circuts, self monitoring board and BIT'sAPU TESTthis is done during the the first flight of the day or (per Horizon sop) if the aircraft has been de-engergized, non-motoring for more than 4 hours with OAT of 30 deg F or less.APU START - ONthis will start the auto start sequence for the apu, they monitor the switch itself (green START is ok or amber FAIL) synoptic on the switch, takes about 20-30 seconds for one of these two indications to show.GEN - ONthey will not depress this switch unless the amber AVAIL light is on on the actual switch, once they press it one of two things, a green ON will display or the switch will blank (no lights)AIR - ONthey will only press this after the APU has run steady state for 20 seconds or more. if pressed before that there is a good chance that the apu air will surge back and forth, you then have to do a restartcouple of other items, I dont know what the overhead panel looks like but he says all 4 buttons are in a horizontal line in the following sequence ON, START, GEN, AIRthats what I got (he sure does like to talk airplanes), talked for about 30 minutes (he got into the HUD's, RVR, gear link breakage (SAS), ect, ect)anyways, I hope this helps. if he emails me anything I will post it here for you

Guest Sterk

Thank you a lot!I got even much more info than I expected for.Dont worry about the look of the panel-the bitmap itself is almost finished and after all these days of working on this I know the location of each switch by heart.:)Here it is

look great, good luck with it