Sign in to follow this  

Transparency?

I have created a fuselage in GMAX using a cylinder, and I have sucessfully cut my windows using the boolean method. The question I now have is how do I make the interior of my aircraft visible? Looking through the windows, it appears that the interior of my cylinder is not there. Did I miss something?Thanks,

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Jeff.You can do what Etienne suggests, or you could go a step further (bare in mind this is more complex) and actually give your fuse some thickness. To do that, clone your current fuse, and then scale it down (proportionally, in all axis) just a tad. Then select all the polygons of this smaller fuse and flip their normals. This will allow you to only see the inner fuse from the inside, and the outer fuse from the outside.If you do this before you cut the windows, and use the boolean Subtract A-b method, you even get the polygons in the frame of the window, connecting the inner fuse to the outer, so that when you look through a window from the inside, you see the thickness of the fuse.If this sounds confusing or you don't know how to do one of these steps, let us know and we will be clearer.

A two sided material? Do I do that in the material editor? If so, whereabouts?Thanks guys.

Guest luhiss

Just a note... you can scale the part uniformly... but using the PUSH modifier is a bit more accurate...Luhiss

Ok, I have cut my windows, extruded the polygons to get my window sills, and now I apply a two sided material to my fuselage (windows included?) I select just the window polygons and try to make them transparent I used 35%. The whole fuselage becomes 35% transparent. A second approach I tried, I detached the windows from the airplane and gave them their own material (not two sided 35% transparent) and it looks great in GMAX, but in the Sim I can't see the inside of the two sided material I just made. I see the extrusions through the glass, but not the interior...I'm running out of hair to pull out.What procedure do you use to cut a window in a fuselage and make everything work out?

I'll bump this once before I let it fall off into the recesses of the archives...

Guest Fly1

Check the comment above. Make a clone of the tube (with holes cut), name it something different. Change it to a mesh, select all poly's, and turn on "Norms". It will show which way the light is reflecting from the surface. Go to the bottom of the menu section on the right hand side and select "Flip". Now the lines are reversed.If you do not move the tube, it will be in the same position as the original. One will reflect in, the other out. As for material, use one side only, as necessary. When exported to FS, now you will have an interior and exterior. From there you can get fancy by adding depth, etc.Good Luck!!Bob C.

>I have created a fuselage in GMAX using a cylinder, and I >have sucessfully cut my windows using the boolean method. >The question I now have is how do I make the interior of my >aircraft visible? Looking through the windows, it appears >that the interior of my cylinder is not there. Did I miss >something? I found this technique described in the Freeflight Design Shop Forum:- Build the fuselage- Convert to editable mesh (if not already in mesh mode), clone the fuselage, select all polygons and extrude them inwards (negative value) along their normals (tick 'Local').- Select all polygons and hit 'Flip'- Attach the new "inner hull" to the fuselage, select all vertices, set weld threshold to 0.001m and hit "Weld Selected".You're done! Constant thickness and no holes to plug!The above was posted by Gerard van der Harst on Monday, 11 November 2002.http://www.freeflightdesign.com/tips/Fusel...hickness%20.htm

>That did it, thanks!Which suggestion worked? :)