Sign in to follow this  
RobertRent

Is there a way to edit an aircraft's .air file?

Is there any way to view and modify the contents of an aircraft's .air file?The situation is this: I added some of the Mooney Bravo's instrument panel switches to a panel that I am creating, and I find that the Boost Pump switch will not toggle. If I replace my .air file with the Bravo's .air file then the Boost Pump switch will toggled.So, I'm trying to figure out what it is about the Bravo's .air file that enables the Boost Pump Switch, and I am therefore looking for a way to understand and modify .air files.Any thoughts are appreciated,Robert

Guest bones

To edit an .air file you can use Bill Roth's AirEd or the Abacus Flight Dynamics Editor (FDE). I'm sure there are others..boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Hi Robert,rather than editing the FDE (which could have a lot of undesired side effects), I would first compare the electrical section of your aircraft.cfg with that of the Mooney, you may find that something's missing there, which would enable the switch.Cheers,Gosta.http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg

Thank you, Bones, for your quick reply and for your pointer to the AirEd and FDE editors. I have installed both and I am now probing the depths of the Mooney Bravo

Guest Milton

In the air file, record 1520 has the fuel pump boost switch which must be set to true.If you do not have this record in your air file, copy one to the clipboard by right-ckicking on the 1520 record, then paste it into yours by right-clicking on an adjacent record in your air file.Milton

I got it!Thanks to your tips and suggestions, I was able to discover that the Mooney Bravo's boost pump switch requires an airfile section=1520 with data element Fuel_Boost_Pump=TRUE.Milton, you were dead on correct. I should have asked you folks about this problem a long time ago.. it would have saved me a great deal of investigative time.I made my discovery using the new Aircraft Airfile Manager (AAM) available at http://www.aircraftmanager.com/ . AAM's 'compare' function made it easy to find the differences between my airfile and that of the Bravo, and AAM's copy-and-paste function made it easy to clone airfile sections from the Bravo.I can't thank you folks enough. I have been piddling around with this simple little problem for weeks without a resolution, and I would have not been able to solved it without your assistance.Thanks again,Robert

Milton,Thanks for taking the time to respond, and for the solution to my problem. May I ask how you knew the correct solution? I had to use the brute-force method of manually comparing the two airfiles, and then cutting and pasting any section that looked even remotely connected with the fuel system. If there is a better way to solve these types of problems I'd sure like to know it.Thanks,Robert