Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

Cant see landing lights through my propellers?? Help

The landing lights are there. You can see them around the props and shining on the ground, but when looking straight at them head on, you can't see them through the props. I have the props opacity set very low and the transparency of them looks really good. But there is something strange happening that isn't allow the landing lights to shine through.Can someone help? Thanks in advance.

Guest Dee Waldron

I usually fix that problem by putting the props (and all transparent parts) at the very end of the assy order. The easiest way to do that is to just select your transparent prop part, cut & paste it. Hope that helps. Dee Waldron (HJG)

Dee,Thanks for your reply. Only problem is I really don't understand what you mean. Can you explain it again in maybe a different way that might help me understand better. I'm using gmax BTW.Thanks....Strange thing is.......they do show through sometimes, but most of the time they don't.. hmmmmmmmmm

Hi, ciro.I am not sure if you have the same problem that I had. My problem was a solid prop when viewed from outside, tower etc. It may be that the same effect blocks your light, but I never had that same exact thing happen to me. I ended up having to redo the prop using the Opacity set to something other than 100%, (95)of the material used for the prop. I used 3 cylinders and a very light prop for the Slow effect. All were done in Gmax, I used no external, other than Gmax generated textures. I hope this helps. TV

yes..I have the opacity set down around 15% or so..............it's a strange thing??

Guest Dee Waldron

FS2002 reads your MDL file and draws the model on screen according to the order which the model was assembled. In your design program, each time you save a new part to your project, it becomes next in the order of assy. So if you make your fuselage first, it will be first in the assy order. If you make the wheels last thing, they will be the very last thing on the assy order. Now, all of your transparent parts really should be at the very end of the assy order. FSDS2 has different ways to do arrange the assy order, but I think that with Gmax the only thing you can do is "cut" the prop (so that its saved to the clipboard) and repaste it into the project and save. This will effectivly move it to the end of the assy order (because its now the last part that was saved).Dee Waldron (HJG)

Ok. I think I understant the concept. However, I'm not seeing an option to 'cut' or paste an object. I can only 'save selected' and 'clone' objects. What I tried was saving the props themselves to their own file, then I deleted them from the scene. I then merged the props that I had saved. Re-exported.........No Luck...Any other suggestions? Or can you better describe how to cut and paste in gmax?

Guest PhLem

I have had the same problem before. Are you using a reflective texture for your prop ( texture_t.bmp ) ? That makes your landing lights dissappear. In Gmax you don't have to worry about the order in which you build your parts. As far as I know it only works with FSDS.I know that with my plane I had a reflective texture applied to my prop, and evrything transparent behind it would dissappear. Also the landing lights. So try using a 16 or 32 bit texture for your prop instead.Hope it helps,Udo :-wavewww.YeoDesigns.com