Sign in to follow this  
Great Ozzie

The power of a 747's backwash!

Speaking of Mythbusters, did anyone see Wednesday's show on 11/14/07? They were able to find a cargo company that allowed them to use one of their 747's to test out the thrust wash of the engines at full takeoff thrust.WOW is all I can think of to say of the result! The guys pulled several vehicles across the rear path of a stationary 747 to see if the jetwash would blow them over. I was expecting some movement sideways of each vehicle, but not the steel ripping, flying, rolling and destruction of such heavy vehicles. The hoods were ripped off and both the car and the school bus rolled and went airborne! Geeeez!I guess that's a VERY good reason that vehicles are not allowed to drive on roadways that cross right behind the runway when large jet aircraft are taking off. I know there are many airports that have just that situation.Kim

They did a similar one in the UK's 'Top Gear' program and one of the cars used was a 'De-Je-Veux' (Citreon 2CV).You should have seen that go! hahahaha

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest jboweruk

Yep, powerful lady. I was lucky enough to be on a 744 when the pilot didn't use reduced thrust for takeoff. We got pinned in our seats, she wasn't a full load per se, but still 350 pax and hand baggage, but only enough fuel to get us from LHR to Fairford and back, plus whatever reserve they needed. Man that takeoff from Fairford was a blast though. The takeoff from LHR was normal, and much different, you could still easily move in your seat, but coming home when the guy let her off the leash was really something else. Plus the climb out was much faster than normal also, we must have had a near 20 or 30 degree nose up attitude. WOW!!

The 747 that Mythbuster's used appeared to be a 747-200? model with older engines, not the high bypass engines that are on the 747-400 today. The newer engines do have more thrust, so I'm guessing that there would've been even MORE jet wash if they had used a newer 747.Still, it was an impressive demonstration. Both the car and the bus were flying through the air at one point. The Cessna that they tried out just flipped over and plastered itself to the ground.I wouldn't mind a ride in a lightly loaded 747 with full takeoff thrust applied! Yeee haaa! The 777 with those 2 BIG engines is no slouch in the thrust department either.:-boomKim

Guest Bizub4

I watched that yesterday (they had a repeat on) it did look like a -200F because of the engines and the cockpit. I also think that it would have been so cool if they used a 777 or 747-400!

Even though it looked like a -200F cockpit, I noticed in the central console what looked like an FMC above the throttles. If that's the case, I wonder how it was integrated with the older A/P and A/T or if that system was upgraded as well?I've flown the RFP 747-200 in FS9, and it's a handful for one pilot, especially dealing with the FFRATS.Kim

Guest jboweruk

Gotta be said though it's still a beauty of a plane.

That was an awesome episode! I have no idea how they got permission to do that and found a company to volunteer a plane.The results weren't surprising to anyone, but it was still fun to watch :)

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

Guest oyvindhansen

>I watched that yesterday (they had a repeat on) it did look>like a -200F because of the engines and the cockpit. I also>think that it would have been so cool if they used a 777 or>747-400! >Here's the 747-400 on Top Gear ripping apart a 2CV.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNPGVP0Uuj8-

Guest Jimbofly

Did you know that a 747 can't use full thrust with it's parking brakes on because the force of the thrust can potentially rip up the asphalt?James

Which begs the question, what thrust settings were they using for their demonstrations?Kim