Sign in to follow this  
Great Ozzie

The power of a 747's backwash!

Hmmmm. It looks like only the two inboard engines are running. I think that they were using all four engines in the Mythbusters segment, although I'm not sure since I don't remember any up close instrument shots when they powered up. I vaguely remember one shot of the pilots pushing all four thrust levers forward. I wonder how much they would have to reduce the thrust if all four engines were being used?Kim :-eek

I agree Chris...I had the fortuitous pleasure of seeing "Air Force One" (the Ronald wasn't on board at the time but am pretty sure it was a VC-25...) make a low approach to Rwy 28 at Purdue University (ok another war story :-S ). I was holding short of 23 in one of Purdue's PA-28s (Warrior II). The huge thing made a roaring pass maybe 50ft off the deck... then another Purdue training aircraft made a landing on 23 with what seems to be be normal separation. Then I remember seeing just as that Warrior was rolling out thru the intersection of 28/23 it "shaking" from side to side (and not a small amount either!)! The controllers saw it too cause one came on the freq and was like, "everyone stop! everyone taxiing hold your position!" and we sat there for several minutes atleast. Yes was ideal setup for max wake turbulence... low slow and heavy. You just don't realize sometimes until it's too late. Makes me wish I had tried to track down the student in that plane and see what it was like experiencing those vortices.Rob O.