Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Word/Excel Question:

If I double click on a saved word document, or right click on it and select "open" I get a progression of error windows:Window One:"Word cannot open the document. Try one or more of the following. *On the File menu, click Open to open the document. *Make sure the document has a DOC extension, (CFSX.DOC)."Window Two:"The document name or path is not valid. Try one or more of the following: *Check the path to make sure it was typed correctly. *On the File menu, click Open. Search for the file using the dialog box. (RELATEDFORUM)"If I click the ok box in each window progressively, my document then comes up with no problems.If I go to the toolbar and open the file, there is no problem.The error windows only appear if I double click a file to open it.Excel has the same scenario, and there have been times there were more than two of these windows.From the toolbar in the Tools>Options>Save options, if I Always create backup copies and Save AutoRecover info every few miniutes, I can double click on the backup copy of my file which is created and it comes up normally with no error windows. With or without these selections, the original saved copy has this quirk.No biggy, but a bit of a nusience and I am curious as to why and where this developed. It appeared rather lately after running for years without these error windows.Any ideas?RTH

Guest vrandar

It might have forgotten the file association. Try going into Windows Explorer (right click on Start then Explore). Navigate to a folder where you have your Word and Excel Files. Make sure you have the full details of the files (click on the views dropdown at the top of the screen). Make sure the type is shown as " Microsoft Office Word Document" or "Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Document". If not right click on one of the documents, select "Open With.." and choose Word or Excel as appropriate from the list that appears, and make sure you check the box below where it says "Always use the selected program to open this type of file".Rob Elliott, EGPE InvernessPSS Airbus Support andAirbus Fleet Training Captain, British Airways Virtual airbus@speedbirdonline.co.ukhttp://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/airbus.htmlhttp://www.bavirtual.co.uk

Thanks Rob:You are correct that "Always use the selected program to open this type of file" was not checked.Unfortunately, when I enter the checkmark and click OK, I get the multiple error windows before my document will display. When I go back and check, my checkmark is removed.Thanks Again:RTH

To add to the clarification of the problem.If I go ahead and start Word or Excel, then double click any "doc" or "xls" file I want to open, there are no error messages.If I double click on the file in question before opening windows, I get the messages. For one file, I got eleven progressive windows. For others, I get as little as two.Respectfully:RTH

Office 2007 has changed the default file extension names to:.docx.xlsxIs it possible that the document was created by someone else with Office 2007?There is a Microsoft patch all Office 97 through 2003 users should run to make Windows and Office recognize the new file associations.Not running the patch has caused some issues like you metioned.http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en

Thanks for the reply Reggie:Unfortunately, after installing the patch you recommended, I still see no difference and get the multiple error windows before opening my files by progressively clicking ok on each window.You did jog my memory of another thing though, along with its appearance again after being absent during the time this thread was originated.When I save or close the document (Sorry, it happened so fast that I am not sure which), I got the following notification: "Changes have been made that affect the global template, Normal.dot. Do you want to save these changes?"I have always clicked "no", not knowing just what this would do. Then I can close the document normally with no error windows.I have periodically seen this happen for some time, quite possibly since the exact same time as my opening error messages. However, for the first time I clicked yes rather than no and I got another window telling me that I could not do this. Don't remember exactly what it said, but something to the effect that another copy was open, or in action in some way.I then tried several documents, including new ones, and never got the closing error window again. If and when it appears again, I will try to carefully write down all of the text and try again with the "yes" option. It sure sounds like it is related to the editing of the extensions, I would assume all of them in word and/or Excel.I tried simply editing ".doc" documents to ".docx" and that had no affect either. Even had ".doc.docx" once by mistake, and all open and close exactly alike.Now, to wait for the next time I get the closing error message and see if clicking yes will bring any good results. I will do a google search for "normal.dot" and see what I come up with as well.Thanks again:RTH

Negative:I will reinstall office as a last resort, probably at some time in the future when a reformat, reinstallation of everything, or whatever is necessary. I certainly can live with this for the time being unless a simple solution can be found. Everything works, with no indication of a problem at all if the program is opened first.In addition, I have discovered that two other computers in my home network have the same symptoms. This would seem to imply the possibility that it is network related to my ignorant mind. I am going to remove my computer from the network and see what that produces. I cannot help but wonder if in double clicking to open the document, that it is hunting it initially on one of the other computers.Thanks for the suggestion, and as I said I may try that, but being that it is appearing on all three computers, I somewhat doubt that reinstallation would be a permanent solution.Respectfully:RTH