Sign in to follow this  

Panel affecting DXT3 exterior textures

I have modified an old FS98 panel by Michael Verlin for the gMax Mitsubishi MU-2B and have repainted that aircraft with the author's blessing for FS2002. The outside textures are DXT3 32 bit. The problem is that when I load the aircraft in outside (spot view), the textures display properly. However, when you toggle through Cockpit view (Ctrl-S) and return to the exterior view, the texture shading is completely lost (bright, flat, solid colors, night and day). The panel functions properly and contains a number of FS2002 gauges and icons added or replacing some FS98 gauges. A default KingAir panel from FS2002 does not cause this exterior view texture problem. Must be a simple solution. The problem occurs with all texture sets for this aircraft IF the FS98 source panel is aliased. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Mike Davis

I'll reply to my own post, since no one seems to have a clue (or cares).By a process of elimination, I determined that the Garmin 530 that I had installed caused the problem. It was an FS2000 version. I removed that and the exterior textures display properly. I don't have a clue why that one "gauge" caused a total loss of DXT3 texture effects after the panel 2D view was selected, but it did. Perhaps a "lockup" looking for additional gauge function information that was missing? The Garmin functioned properly during flight tests. I chose the Garmin for "eye candy" based on an original panel photo from airliners.net. I'm still trying to get the FS2002 version of that radio to work so I'm off to RTFM. Mike Davis

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Mike.I have an idea of what might have happened. The way bitmaps were indexed in gauges for FS98 has changed in FS200 and FS2002. Through my own experience making gauges, it is possible that some bitmaps used in the Garmin gauge had been wrongly addressed, and allocated to the wrong part of the memory. If that happens, unpredicatble visual effects might happen.I know this Gramin was for FS2000 and not FS98, but it is still possible that the problem could be caused my memory index of bitmaps. Also, if this would happen, it would be hard to trace it down to that gauge, since the bitmaps in it might display properly, while some parts of the visual engine would behave erractically.But I am glad you figured it out and solved it!

Hi Mike, I too had this problem. Mikko and I found that a particular Garmin radio/gps gauge would cause strange display problems, particularly in the VC view. Could'nt tell you why, but it is very possible that that is the culprit, which is strange, because I have used that unit in several other panels with no problems at all. Go figure eh?Ian Grant

Thanks for the feedback, Fabio and Ian. I used the GPS from a Garmin radio version for the Mooney Bravo panel (default Mooney) which was an FS2000 vintage gauge. The Mooney outside textures are 16-bit (565) mipmapped, no alpha channel. Obviously there is a conflict with DXT3 texturing? I didn't want to install the whole FSFlightMax set and wanted mainly to display the "look" of a single Garmin radio in the panel without the complexity of the FSFlightMax group and it's associated learning curve. The FS2002 version of this GPS gauge requires the FSFlightMax installation procedure and associated gauges to operate correctly. This is OK for personal use, but is more than I would like for a VA aircraft.Hope someone gets some useful information from all this. Back to the drawing board...Mike Davis

Im a big supporter of Ike and Coyote avionics, he makes good stuff, and has always been very nice to me about letting me use his work in reeware releases. However, may I suggest doing a search on Flightsim.com. Another fellow did some Garmin radios (as well as some other GPS series including Apollo among other) I don't remember the authors name, but a search on 'radios' in the FS2002 category or such should find them for you. They are a good alternitive to the CAD garmins. Good Luck,Ian Grant

An FS2002 version of the Garmin 530 works fine. Thanks, guys!Mike Davis