Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

Inter Gauge Communications

Question:Is it possible to pass an L: variable type from a C+ gauge to an XML gauge?I have a project that is using both C & XML gauges, and need to use the same C switch to dim gauge lighting. I'm using a variable in the XML (L:hilo_lights,bool).I've tried a transparent XML overlay, but unfortunately the C "click event" takes precedence, even though the custom Toolpip shows up during a mouseover.Any ideas?BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://mtco.com/~rsam/fartslogo.jpg

Hi Bill,I don't think that's possible.I've worked on a simular problem with (the late :-( ) Bill Morad to solve the problem of handling sounds from an XML gauge (i.e. trigger sounds from an XML gauge via a C-gauge).The only thing we could come up with is to use unused FSvariables for communication between the two gauge types.Cheers, Rob

>Hi Bill,>>I don't think that's possible.>I've worked on a simular problem with (the late :-( ) Bill>Morad to solve the problem of handling sounds from an XML>gauge (i.e. trigger sounds from an XML gauge via a C-gauge).>The only thing we could come up with is to use unused>FSvariables for communication between the two gauge types.Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain that you're right.Also unfortunately, I've just learned that the XMLSound.gau will not work with FS:CoF. One of the beta testers tried to load an a/c using that gauge and reports that it will cause a 'crash to desktop' every time. Commenting out the gauge, the a/c will load just fine... :(The WHM_kevents.gau works just fine, but hopefully it won't be necessary anymore. Surely MS has fixed the missing k_events in XML by now! :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://mtco.com/~rsam/fartslogo.jpg

A friend of mine needed a C gauge that would tell all his XML gauges if it was night or day and if the panel lights were on or not. What I ended up doing was using A:GENERAL ENG4 GENERATOR SWITCH in the XML gauge and GENERAL_ENGINE4_GENERATOR_SWITCH along with KEY_TOGGLE_ALTERNATOR4 in the C gauge. Setting the alternator to on or off in the C gauge, I could pass boolean data to the XML gauge. Works good as long as the airplane doesn't have 4 engines. ;) The same thing can be done with engines 2 and 3 if it's a single engine plane.Matt

>A friend of mine needed a C gauge that would tell all his XML>gauges if it was night or day and if the panel lights were on>or not. What I ended up doing was using A:GENERAL ENG4>GENERATOR SWITCH in the XML gauge and>GENERAL_ENGINE4_GENERATOR_SWITCH along withThanks, Matt. Oddly enough, I'd just settled on that exact "unused variable" myself! What's that they say about "great minds thinking alike?" :)There are any number of ones I could choose from, but unfortunately most of 'em are "broken" in XML and don't work reliably... :(Now I just need to get Lonny to incorporate that k_event in his C gauge. I don't know what custom variable he's using for the DIM/BRIGHT in his C gauges, but it should be easy enough to add the same event to it. It just looked stupid to have most of the gauges dimming but not the ones on the ECU or compass. :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://mtco.com/~rsam/fartslogo.jpg

Keep in mind that some of these events that might appear "broken", does so because the .air-file isn't set to recognise them.A small tip to those who use Xml-Sound.gau. It is possible and vey easy to "hack" this gauge to use other names for the wave files. I use this method frequently, and also rename Xml-Sound.gau to i.e. Xml-Sound(Hacked-Baron).gau and put the gauge inside a directory containing other xml gauges (I leave my gauges uncabbed, as adjustments to some variables are encouraged due to different machines requireing other settings). A hexeditor is all you need to do this hack, and I'm sure Bill Morad wouldn't mind; he was in the process of writing another more generic one before, well, you know... :( You're still limited to four sounds only though.The SST aircraft package contains another version that supports more sounds, but doesn't support prop aircraft (uses all magneto settings). Bill: I found it :)Hopefully, as mentioned above that COF doesn't support this gauge (or maybe it's fssound.dll?), Microsoft has "enabled" xml sounds by default in this version. There were evidence that this was planned for on FS2002, but not implemented in the final version (default code uses wav code, and contains wav clicksounds, but nothing works).

Oops ....If the XMLsound.gau causes COF to crash, the soundgauge that I use in my rather popular Pushback gauge will probably do the same (rob-sound.gau, made by Bill for me to provide 8 pushback sounds using Magneto events).So I better change my Email address when COF is released :-)Cheers, Rob