Sign in to follow this  

AUTOPILOT FOR HELOS

Does anyone know if an standard autopilot unit (That is one from a fixed wing a/c)will work in a helicopter?I'm working on a Bell 222 panel but don't have that much spare time, so I don't want to waste it experimenting with a standard unit if any of you already know it won't work....Any help would be greatly appreciated....Cheers//Tonni

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Tonni.Arne Bartels, a local here in this forum, has done helo autopilots in the past, so let's wait and see what he says.

Guest bartels

The standard AP won't work at all with a helo, due to the extreme different physics. There is however a helicopter autopilot available by Antti Pekkonen, and a "hover only" unit available by me.Arne Bartels

Thanks for replys....I'll take a look at the ones you suggested...Cheers//Tonni

Hi Kiwi,I'm also after an AP for the helo in FS2002. I'm a real time IFR helo pilot and it is disappointing that MSFS didn't allow for this option for those of us who fly helos IFR (I fly a AS365N3 with EFIS, nav coupled AP and FD and moving map/wx).I have FS panel studio and would like to try and add an AP. Could you share any of your successes with the replies you have had so far.RegardsMike

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey mike.Bit off topic, but not too much ;-). How do you like the Dauphin? I used to install GPSs for a company in Brasil, and installed more than 20 on the Brasilian Army's fleet of Dauphins, got to fly in each of them for our acceptance then delivery flight, was great!Sounds like your helo is decked out, that is great! Private owner? Pics anywhere?

Hi Fabio,I'm the Training and Checking Captain for the Victoria Police Air Wing in Melbourne Australia. If you want to look at some pics go to our unofficial Police web site at http://airwing.uplink.com.au/Can anyone else help with AP for FS2002 helo? Or this just not possible at this time?RegardsMike

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello Mike.Checked out the webpage, great stuff! I see the N3s are relativelly new, and I love the callsign, Polair. COngratulations for having a job most people only dream about :-). You guys are the ones that went out to rescue sailors in the Sydney to Hobart race in 1998, correct? Were you with this wing already? i've read many stories about it, and have to congratulate for your courage and professionalism.Very good website. I watched the video of the Panther and the BO-105, and holy crap that BO-105 gets close to the ground. The blades are dangerously near the terrain in several of those turns!Also very interesting FS2002 video you got in there! I like the camera position. Too bad the helicopter flight model in FS2002 is not too realistic. It is definitelly a good start, but I think there is a long way to go.Regarding the autopilot, there is one for helos, as well as an autohover too, like Arne said some messages above. The AP is by Antti Pekkonen and the hover by Arne Bartels himself. A search in the file library should yield some results. Let us know if you didn't have success and we will provide further assistance.

Hi Fabio,I've been with the Wing for past 15 years. I only do the line about a third of the time. Most of my time is now devoted to training and checking the line guys and special projects, like GPS non-precision approaches to helipads and NVGs. Yes the guys who did the Sydney to Hobart race did a great job. Actually most of the guys have done some great sorties but I guess the only ones that people hear about are the ones on the news!!The web site is actually not ours but the creation of a very talented guy called Andrew Gilchrist who did it all himself and looks after it. The official Government Police web site is lousy and boring!RegardsMikeRegards