Hey guys!How many of you acctually use wing views or virtual cabins or even VC's. How many of you spend more time inside the aircrft than you do outside.i have an idea and depending on some of your answers i might swing it in to motion!Carl

I design them into my aircraft (although I'm only on my second "public" project) and I prefer them in any aircraft.It is often argued by some designers that the Captain can't see the wing from the cockpit. I've never flown a commercial jet, but I've sat in the cockpit of almost every one of them. The pilot can see the wings just by a turn of the head and/or torso, and often does during taxi to check for icing. That saved my life on a commercial flight I took out of Detroit. The pilot said observations from the cockpit showed icing, and didn't want us to be alarmed when he came back for a closer look. We turned back to deice again.Aside from that, many hobbyists enjoy a pax view, and enjoy the wing view from that POV.Some myths about wing views:Myth 1: They cut fps: Not true. They are packaged in a separate model, and it is not displayed from spot view. Ariane, FFX and many others have proven this untrue.Myth 2: If I have a V/C, I can't have a wing view: Not true. It depends on how the designer builds the model.Myth 3: Wing views take too long: Uh? V/C's take a long time. Wing views take as much time as it takes to copy or clone them into the "virtual model". That is my last step in a project--to clone the wings so all the animations are accurately portrayed.Myth 4: It looks "fake" to have a wing, but no cabin: When I fly as a passenger, I look quite close through the window--I don't even notice the frame in my field of vision. Myth 5: I'm stuck with a wing view, and I want to fly from the cockpit: The POV is controlled by the eyepoint, and the panel.cfg. Most designers position the POV in the cockpit, and leave the user to decide whether to move it back.I once thought of building an "inside out" aircraft....nothing viewable from spot view--just a virtual cockpit, cabin, and wing views. Since I think virtual cabins murder framerates, I tabled this idea.... Every designer compromises in some way. My first release had a virtual cabin of sorts, but no Virtual Cockpit or animation within. In my case, I did this simply because I'm still learning, and I wanted to gauge response to my exterior design skills before investing time in another project. And I learned why it can take many months to produce great work, as most of the members of this forum do....-John

Thats qutie a bit of info you gave me. I have the same idea as you did for the "Inside out" aircraft as im not to great of an exteroir modeler. im more of a person who deals with the small detail stuff(such as VC's and cabins). About the murder of frame rates for virtual cabins im not so sure about but you may be correct.The reason i thought of this idea is beacuse i thought it would bring some atmosphere to the sim. From a pilots view i guess this would be , in a wierd way, somewhat more "realistic". -Carl

Guest lionheart777

I found out how to put my wings 'into' the virtual program and loved it! I am very much into the 'reality' feel of the cabin and being able to replicate what it would be like within the interior of the plane and thus every single detail would be that much closer to the real thing.I think that in 'use', a model's primary focus is on the inside more so than the outside, just like buying a car. The looks sell it, but the interior dash is what you will 'see' from then on, so the cabin and panel is extremely important.I hope this helps out.Kind regards,Bill

I like the VC. I think it seems more realistic when I pan my view around, and I often use it when landing. I don't think it is that much more work to add it to a project, since most of the parts can simply be copied to the VC model. I do this with my own projects - many parts from the interior cabin would be visible from the outside anyway, so the same part can be used again in the VC.My big problem with VC's is that the instruments can be dificult to read, and your field of view is sometimes reduced. This can be overcome by zooming in and out, however.- Martin