Sign in to follow this  

FSDS2 ("Sunken Tire Phenomenon")

Greetings--I know that some of you have encountered this problem, and I sincerely hope someone can give me some advice. I am working on an aircraft in FSDS2 (a new and improved version of a model that I have completed in FSDS, with the keyframe animation and the additional new capabilities that v2 has to offer). I've run into the "sunken tire" phenomenon again, after generating the model. I was able to solve it in FSDS by fooling with the elevations of the reference parts (gear.center, gear.left/right, etc.). Yet the problem persists with the FSDS2 version. I've tried adjusting the gear.*** and aircraft.radius reference parts, but after several attempts the problem persists. I checked the [contact_points] section in the .cfg file of the aircraft folder, and noted that they are the same as the near identical FSDS version of the model (whose tires sit ATOP the ground), and the figures look to be identical. I've noted some of the screen shots of models that others have completed (including the gorgeous FSDS2 FedEx MD11 that one of the participants in the forum are working on), whose tires are in the perfect position. I'm more or less stumped; I have a feeling that there is something fundamental that I've overlooked. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!!

Guest panzerschiffe

Try raising the static_cg_height setting in the contact points section a hair and see if that helps. The reason it may not work the same as the older model is that the new model may have a different point of reference (therefore throwing off all the things that are placed based on that reference). It's hard to get the tires to sit right for all weights, I tuned mine to sit right when the aircraft is about 85-90% of MTOW, which more or less work alright.

Hi, The sunken tyre problem is entirely due to a mismatch between the undercarriage leg length in the visual model and that in the aircraft.cfg. The best way to fix this is by amending the parameters in the [contact_points] section of the aircraft.cfg. The fourth set of numbers is the leg length, (-8.16 below). If the type sinks, make this number bigger (more minus !!) to lengthen the leg and the type will then sit. Do this for all legs. More for infor on this section, download the aircraft SDK. [contact_points]point.0=1.000000,20.000000,0.000000,-8.166667,1574.803150, degsy

To panzerschiffe and Degsy-- A thousand thanks! Problem solved!!! While the solution was straightforward, I don't even want to think about how long it would have taken for me to figure out--or stumble upon--the answer myself. You guys not only spared me considerable frustration--and the possible loss of some hair--I learned some new and helpful things in the bargain. Viva AVSIM Online!!!!