Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhLem

Reversed Normals Please Help

Hi guys,I'm a complete newbie 2 modeling 4 flightsim but not 2 modeling in general. So I have my masterpiece all ready to test(no textures). The problem is I mirrored without using the mirror modifier. Now I have reversed normals is FS on the mirrored parts."Well erase and remirror you lazy SOB" i hear u say, but I have created doors windows etc from mirrored parts that no longer exist. This would entail many days of work 2 correct.The model was originally done in MAX 4.2 and 3ds'd to gmax. I know some of you guys have had this problem from checking some previous posts.Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I couldn't find an adeqate fix.If anyone knows a quicker fix than redrawing half my model I would really be very greatful. This problem is making me want to cry.ThanksMark

Hi MarkIf I understand you correctly you have used the mirror tool button on the top of the screen as opposed to the mirror modifier on the right within the modifiaction panel.If this is so, then here is the solution.Select the offending part of your mesh.Go to the hammer icon on the modification panel. There you will see a set of buttons with stuff like UVW REMOVE etc..Look for the RESET XFORM (reset transform). Once you click it, select the RESET SELECTED feature.Now go to the sub object modifier tab (the blue semi circular tube) and from the modifier list select the NORMAL modifier.Tick the FLIP NORMALS button.Right mouse on the scene and convert the selected part back to an editable mesh.You're sorted.I use this mirror tool all the time because it accurately mirrors objects.The mirror tool at the top of the screen isn't strictly a mirror tool but a transform tool hence the apparent correct look but the flipped normals. If the resulting mirror appears to merge your selection into another part take a look at what the pivot is doing.Mirroring that is going wrong with the mirror modifier is generally because of the pivot position, thus disrupting the transform also (IMHO) the mirror modifier can only (on one single operation) change two planes when most it is likely you want it to change in all three. Just one caveat here. The procedure I've outlined above will reset your pivot for that selected object. If you have done any animation on the selected part or the one you've just cloned to mirror, this procedure will probably mess the animation up if you have made any changes to the pivot to achieve your animation.However if you have textured the object cloned it and used the mirror tool as oppossed to the mirror modifier all seems to be okay except the normals are wrong. BUt now you know how to correct that.The good news is that the texturing will not be affected.Hope this helps.Paul_H

Guest odog

hey, its a common mistake. Make sure you have an editable mesh. In poly sub-object seclect all the reversed polys of one of the parts. scroll down to surface properties and select flip.repeatjoe

Hi Joe,Sorry I should have mentioned that the model looks perfect in GMAX. I tried your suggestion previously in the hope that if the normals were flipped in GMAX they would be correct in FS2002 ... but no cigar.Thanks for the response.Regards,Mark D

Guest PhLem

Mark, As far as I can tell the above description should solve the problem. Your model will appear perfect in Gmax, but mirrored in FS. When you flip the polies, it will look wrong in Gmax, but right in FS. Also,may I suggext you try to use editable poly instead of edit mesh. Why, because edit mesh creates extra polies, which also result in parts becoming deformed.Hope it helps, otherwise post again :-hahUdo.:-wave