Sign in to follow this  

Reflective textures. How do you add them in Gmax?

Hi all, Been working on a few items lately but I can't figure out how to add reflective texturing to the model. I have the textures placed on it, and the whole nine yards. I've noticed that by running the Makemdl.exe file by itself there's a checkbox for "reflective mapping" but when I go to export in Gmax it runs Makemdl by itself using only the default choices. Any ideas? I have FS2k2 Pro, DXTBmp, PSP 7.0, Gmax 1.2. Am I missing a step? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if someone wouldn't mind "dumbing down" the instructionsp lease. I'm a self taught 3D modeller. Thanks!

Guest Milton

Here is one way:1. The textures applied to make the gmax materials must have their name suffixed with _t2. The textures in the aircraft/texture folder must be the same name with suffix _t.3. When you export from gmax, use the Export Selected option. Then export as file type .bglThis will cause makemdl to pause, and allow you to select the Options Tab, click Haslightmap and Hasreflectmap, then click the Main Tab, and change file type to aircraft(instead of scenery) to save. Click Save or Go and she runs.4. The _t textures must have an alpha added to control degree of reflectivity. A gray alpha betweem RGB 210,210, 210 to 230 will get you started. The higher number is less reflective.5. The alpha can be added with DXTbmp or other graphics packages.6. Save your textures in 32 bit extended or DXT3Hope this helps a bit.

Hi Milton, Thanks I'll try that now. I have the _t line already added and understand alpha transparency & reflective layering ( I've been skinning for 4 years now ). Just this is my first time making a model with reflective texturing. I'll try your method now & see if it works. I appreciate the help. :) Topdog

Yes that did indeed do it. Thank you very much Milton. I do appreciate it. :) I should be releasing the model within a few short weeks. ( most likely 2 weeks. have 2 more versions of the model to make. ) Topdog ( aka Craig Shortino )

Guest Milton

Ahhh that's super Craig :-)Okay, one more step for you.For every texture you have suffixed with _t, you must create a light map for night time to prevent the textures from going transparent.Very simple. Create a 64X64 pixel near black texture, no alpha needed.Copy and name it exactly as each of your _t textures, just change the suffix to _L.Example:fuse_tfuse_L - 64X64nacelles_tnacelles_L - 64X64The RGB value of the _L is additive to the night look of your _t textures. If you make it too bright, it will cause your aircraft to have a glow. I think I use about a 20, 20, 20 depending on the color of the aircraft or object. Play with it, experiment ... be shocked! lol

Thanks Milton. I'll do that. I don't think a "glow" would suite my aircraft nicely. lol Well not on a GA plane anyways. Again I thank you for your help. You've been very helpful to my R&D. :) Now I'd love to have a Virtual Cockpit but I think that'll have to wait till a future update. LOL I'm not going to touch that area yet. Had enough trouble just fiddlin around with this one. Craig Shortino