Sign in to follow this  
Guest A_Delta_Sierra

*** YES!!!! VECTORS IN VC!!!!!! ***

Guest Fabio Miguez

Guys, we have it!Thanks to Chris Koegler, it is now possible for anyone using the GDI or GDI+ to display vectors in the VC that are updated like any other gauge (previously some people were able to make them show, but it would never update).The procedure is described below in Chris' post here http://forums.avsim.com/dcboard.php?az=sho...10989&mode=full, which to my amazement had only two replies, where it should have hundreds, for even though FS2004 is around the corner, and we all know vectors are no problem there, I am sure several people will be able to benefit from this knowledge in FS2002. I know I am!!!Notice in the attached screenshot how I was able to display 6 instances of my Engine Display gauge, which is all vectors. Now get this: No drop whatsoever on frame rates! My CPU is fast, a P4 3.06GHz, but only 384MB memory and a GeForce4 MX 420, so I don't believe this performance is unique to my machine. Keep in mind the VC is updated a lot less than the 2D panel, something like 4 times a second or so, but it is absolutely flyable, like any other VC.Anyways, the "secret" is now unlocked. Thank you again, Chris, and keep us updated on any more developments, for this is the only way the community advances as a whole, by sharing ;-).http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/17453.jpgP.S. Notice I posted below Chris's message saying it did not work for me, but it does. I had a small syntax error that was easily fixed. The method is as described, nothing else.

Hey Matt, I can't wait to see your great F-16 gauges in my favorite virtual cockpit !!! :-lol

Guest panzerschiffe

Bump, cause alot of people just don't know what a great discovery this is

Guest Fabio Miguez

Couldn't agree more!

But as you can see, the word THANKS is very hard to say or write, but thats the way it is........

Guest Fabio Miguez

Gotta agree with Chris on this one, ACA308. There are people out there that now about this and never helped a bit. Chris found it, and shared it with us in the forum.I believe most people here do not understand how big this is. Yes, yes, FS2004 is here, and vectors work there without any "tricks", but the point is Chris did what many chose not to, for the good of the community, and that is commendable. More than 300 people read the thread, many might use this, and yet Chris gets a couple of thank yous and that's it...Chris, THANK YOU.

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Fabio,yes certainly if that much people knew out there I wonder why they never posted their approach here?!? kinda like asking Anticyclone to post how they do clickable VC in FS2002 or Pete Dawson how he fetches AI Traffic from FS2002 internals...(I may consider posting our approach to it by the way when FS2004 is out).Anyhow, there are some shortcomings to Chris approach as hilighted in a post today, but it certainly is not only clever, but kindful to share.We use another approach for ours though...with no added overhead for blitting, and which works for transparent HUD, or any other gauge such as a GPS display (in fact anything you want to display).Besides, as you pointed out, it is a shame not to share with the community. I hope you did enjoy my recent information about how to fetch data directly from the globals.DLL, and I'm sure we are a lot looking forward you post your source code with your gauge skeleton to use GDI+! ;-) Thank you again Chris for your code, and Fabio for these wonderful Cirrus screenshots!

>Gotta agree with Chris on this one, ACA308. There are people>out there that now about this and never helped a bit. Chris>found it, and shared it with us in the forum.I fully understand and sympathize... I not only shared my method of gauge backlighting using emissive texturing via GMax, but "worked with and encourged" Louis Sinclair to make the same thing work in FSDS2...Would you care to guess how much response that garnered? I checked the server log on my website and see that over 1,200 unique IP addresses have at least come there to read the tutorial... I won't let that stop me from sharing my "tricks" and "discoveries" though, 'cause I know that there are folks who're using them...So from one 'sharer' to another, Chris... thanks a lot for your kindness!!!BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey JeanLuc (Bonjour!! ;-))Yes, I could not agree more. I believe if everyone shared findings like these, the community could be a lot richer in quality and variety!Your recent information, although not enjoyed by me (yet, I'll soon get there ;-)), is extremely valuable, and I thank you very much for it and all the other contributions here, JeanLuc.My skeleton code has already been posted at Avsim (well, not mine, Fred Clausen's, from 2FD Design, but it is identical) under the filename fs2k2sdkwithgdi+.zipIf people would like, I could also post it here in the forum...?Finally, thank you for your words. We are hard at work at FFS to produce the most realistic version of a Cirrus possible today.

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hello Bill.Yes, unfortunately those who contribute to the freeware community must settle for a couple thank yous and just go on knowing exactly what you mentioned, there are people using it.Thank you too for your pioneering work with gauge, 2D and VC lighting.

Hi there,I also tried to catch the AI traffic information and I was able to get:1.) A list with all AI traffic aircrafts and their "offset"2.) The ID like N3234233.) LAT/LON Position, altitiude, speedI do not continue working on this at the moment because I am waiting for the new Flightsimulator 2004 to catch the information from there.I would also appreciate a "developers community" where we share the information we find out, but the problem is that everyone should have the same workamount, all the developers must have deep FS and reverse engineering knowlegde and imagine the following situation: after months of work I find something out, share it and other Addon producer uses it but doesn't share his information and leaves the community. What should I do then? I have no contract so we all have to thrust each other what is not really possible because you are all not neighbours and we only know each other from a pseudonym in the internet or in forums like this.King Regards,Marcel Burrchief programmerbluesky software development