Sign in to follow this  
Guest delsimflyer

Power of real 777 on takeoff

Last week I did a long weekend roundtrip IAD-LHR in a UA 777. I had quite forgotten how immense the power was on takeoff. The moderately crowded aircraft accelerated at a furious pace and rocketed into the air after a 30 second roll at an initial climb rate of over 3000 fpm. In comparison with my last flight on a VIRGIN Atlantic A340-300, this was at least twice the rate of climb out. The 777 just kept up a furious pace easing off to a race car rate all the way up to FL370, our initial cruise level.The return takeoff was just as fast and furious with a tremendous rate of climb out of LHR although I have to say that over the mid-Atlantic we got bashed around by heavy turbulence such as I've not experienced in many years with drinks flying over the seats and over my neighbor's face! Hard to compete with Mother Nature's high winds and rocky bumps.She's an impressive bird the 777. Very impressive. Colossal engines and immense thrust. Really huge. I love her!JS

I flew BA 777s a couple times. Their seat pitch literally sucks and I am only 5'11". It was impossible to stand up with the seat backs in front of us. The seat backs covered what little knee room there was for "sliding" if you want to call it that. I had to slide across the seats. We got lucky one time and were upgraded to Business class. Even then it was about as good as cattle class.Flew Virgin and the seat pitch seemed better. I didn't feel like I was in a cattle in the back either. Ride seemed more comfortable.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Hi, virtual and real PICs. Any one has seen the one-hour TV program,about the tests made on the 777 ?The last test was called **The sacrifice**.Really impressive ! Full load, full throttle, up to 220 knots speed,and the plane must be able to brake down, WHILEit is on full throttle, then clear the runway, andsurvive 5 minutes, before firemen begin to work. . .!We know the results, it's in the air, today ! B-) Also: I did not know the test with the tail TOUCHINGthe ground, at take off, was made since the 747.Blue skies.

I saw either that or something very similar a few months ago. The tyres all burst on super heavy braking and the load, and then the gear caught fire after it had come to a total standstill, but it was fairly minor and well controlled. Sure was impressive. The 777 is a mighty bird indeed![Of course, the 747 is even mightier.....!]JS

Why do people always blame seat pitch on the plane, when it's the airline that decides which seats to use and how far apart they'll be?

BobK

Guest NeXTer

I don't think anyone did, I think he compared the seating arrangement of a British Airways 777 to a Virgin ditto...

Guest majhankee

Yeah, the 777 is my favorite plane too. I flew on it to and from London and boston. It has huge engines. Its big. Its nice.

Guest delsimflyer

I flew on the vir a346, the four large engines had a nice deep humming sound. Even slight turbulence makes the outer engines shake, looked like it would come off just like EL AL 1862. I sat on a seat just behind the wing and could hear the flap motors and extending landing gears just as it slowed down on final, it was awesome. The huge wings slowly drooped as the plane slowed on the runway. In most planes sitting at the rearmost seats the exhaust rumble can give you a headache, its colder too.