Sign in to follow this  
Ericson

Smoothig whole plane in gmax

Hi,i was wondering how to smooth whole plane - i've read the tutorial : http://www.simviation.com/gryphon/tutorials/gMax_05.htm#5d but auto smooth with threshold ranging from 1 - 100 didn't help - sahpes of the plane are still sharp - i've selected all parts beouse almost every part of the plane needs smoothing . I'm attaching sshot from gmax. pls help regardsEricson

Guest Valid_Andy

You don't really need all the plane attached together. I think you would find it easier if you detached each wing seperatly, and the prop and tail and stuff, although the tasil isnt nessecary, i would do the stabs. It may actually be able to paint if you had the tail as part of the fuse, becasue then when you made the template you knw where the tail joins onto the fuse and so on. Anyway, Autosmooth has always worked for me, so all i can suggest is detach some parts, and then smooth each one sepperatly. I belive the value can go from 0 to 180. Sorry i dont know another way, its just its always worked for me, i really should learn another hehe!

Guest LilSki

I do what andrew does with auto smooth and it works fine. Or you can select the individual polys and customize the smoothing numbers to get the perfect smooth. Meshsmooth works too but I never use it since all it does it makes the model more complicated polygon wise and I like to keep those to as low a number as possible.Definatly detach each inidvidual part such as the fuse, cowling, prop, wings, spinner, etc. and smooth them serperatly since if you smooth them all as one object it will look really bad since all the parts that would be seperate in real life would be smoothing and blending into each other. Kevin Lechmanski Here are 2 shots. One is non smoothed, other is using auto smooth.

Guest CX001

Whjat sort of rendering do you have selected for that viewport? Facets, smooth, lit wireframes, etc? Looks like you have facets.

Thank you for replies - i din't have time to check all tips but i will do it tonight... regardsEricson