Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhLem

It's me again!!!

Guest jetBlue_83

Hey everyone!! For those tha don't know, I'm making an a318! I have a qwestion though...How can I create the actual window glass for the cockpit? Here is a picture to aid in the thinking process:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/22605.jpg

Guest FelixFFDS

#1 - what did you do with the polygons you cut out?#2 - select the points and make new polygons - and detach them to make the window part(s).Felix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Guest jetBlue_83

...and how would I turn points into polygons??? (yes, i'm really new to this!!)

Guest odog

someone didnt do his tutorials...

Guest jetBlue_83

thnx...I just installed the gmax tutorials and lo and behold, there was my answer!!!

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey jetBlue.Looking impressive! I gotta tell you that as a newbee I didn't think you were gonna be able to get the Airbus nose shape right (it still stands as one of the hardest and most discussed topics in FS), but you are almost there!Suggestions: On the side view, it looks like the bottom profile needs a little adjusting, as the surface is not smooth. Take a look at the crosssections and you will see what I mean. Just needs some scaling, or possibly individual vertex moving.Here is an important point: It looks to me as if you are working on the entire fuselage (meaning both sides) at once, as on the top view, the right main windshield has a different shape (and so do the polys immediatelly in front of it) than the left one. This is dangerous, for one thing the plane has to be is absolutelly symmetrical. So the used technique is to work on just half of the fuselage (longitudinally speaking) and when done, mirror and attach it. If I confused you more than I meant to help, please let me know.

Guest PhLem

Looking very good, there. May I make a suggestion. The 2 front windows on most airliners, including the Bus, are flat and square. So you may need to adjust that to make it more realistic. So far, your efforts have paid of. Hope to see it in the virtual skies soon.Take care,UdoPGT:-wave

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey jetBlue.Excellent progress my friend! This is much better than the last!I agree with Udo though. Also in the front vire, the main windows seem squished towards the centerline of the aircraft. To get their shape right will take many attempts and hundreds of photos. Good for us we have airliners.net!Keep it up, man, and everyone will soon have a fantastic Airbus to fly around. Hopefully in jetBlue colors!

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey jetBlue.Now they are different thatn you second screenshot, posted above. They appear too big now, but the overall shape, as seen from the front and above, looks better. Perhaps try to scale the boolean operand (the object you use to cut) down a bit.As you will see, I was pretty accurate when i said you will be doing this several times. Windows are very hard to get just right, so my only suggestion is to look at as many A320 pics as you can get your mouse on, for they all have a little different angle, and that allows you to rotate your model to try and match the overall aircraft orientation, then look at the real windows and compare to yours.