Sign in to follow this  
N2056

Concentric circles in Paint Shop Pro

Now that I know how to texture my prop I'm working on the texture itself. I have the same problem I've noticed on some of the planes in my 'hanger' of downloads - I have 3 nested circles, but I cannot get them to share a common center. How is this done?RobertVirtual Thorp T-18 http://home.nethere.net/kerr/virtual.htm

Guest odog

i suck a PSP so here's what i do, I cheat :-)open gmax and make 3 circles using the splines. adjust them so they are centered on the grid and take a snapshot w/ printscrn key.open up PSP and open the clipboard data.this will at least give you something to go by.joe

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Robert,I have no clear idea, but here are some thoughts:1 - Make a vertex by intersecting two lines, one horizontal the other vertical, and use their intersection as the relative center for the circles2 - See if you can find the displayed object coordinates and move the circles until they are all on the same coordinateIt might be that neither of these will work, depending on the design of PSP. From my little experience in Photoshop I know that I could really use some time sitting down with the programmers, who probably never used any 3D modeler, and give them a little piece of my mind. It seems things like this are MUCh easier in a modeling program.But then again, they may make it like this for a good reason... ;-)

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

My local friend who is working on a Navion gauge package needed to know the exact same thing this morning. He uses Photoshop so I made him an example. I have both of the attached files in layers, so if you would like to see how I did it, send me an email.I think PSP would be very similar. I haven't attempted, because I am a Photoshop nut. (Fabio -- Photoshop is "hard", but like gmax and 3ds, it will do just about anything you want after you work with it for a lifetime. It has been, and I believe, still the "stand" for graphic in Industry -- Started, and is still used, on the more powerful graphic Apple machines.)http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/22640.jpghttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/22641.jpgIn gmax as Joe said, make a spline, circle, clone it, then scale it. Use uniform scale, and enter the value percent as numbers in the "x" box near the bottom of the gmax page. click the box just to the left of the "x" box and it will allow you to enter numeric data.Doing it that way you can have each new cloned circle exactly 75% of the last one if you wish.we r rsam@mtco.com

Guest FelixFFDS

In Paint Shop Pro 7#1 - make the circles as vectors#2 - in vector mode (click on the object selector icon), select the objects#3 - From the Menu: Objects->Align->Vertical Center Objects->Align->Horizontal CenterFelix/FFDSPegasus Aviation Design

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Bob.Nice to see you :-).Oh yes, I believe Photoshop is extremely powerful and will do anything you like, but for people that model somethings just don't seem very logical. Hence me using Adobe Illustrator for the past year to make textures for my gauges. You can't beat vector graphics for flexibility and ease of use, and it even has a lot of the Photoshop filters for effects. And of course, after the main work of layout is done, you can open it in Photoshop and do whatever you like that Illustrator couldn't.Anyways, interesting method. Not straight forward and intuitive, but very interesting, thanks Bob!

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Felix.Now there is something I like to see! I didn't know PSP had a vector mode! I always imagined why the good (hmmm, sometimes I call them bad names, but they work hard ;-)) people at Adobe never did this with Photoshop. Or am I mistaken, and Photoshop also has a vector mode?Anyways, as posted above, I use Adobe Illustrator. It is a pure vectorial program just like CorelDraw, extremelly powerful, and perfect for making gauges. And as I stated, you can do everything in layers then import it as is in Photoshop to do work on any of the layers that you couldn't do in Illustrator, but it has been about 6 months that I don't start up Photoshop to make gauges, everything I need, including effects, is in Illustrator. Definitely worth it.

Felix-That is what I've tried, except I use Objects->Align->Center on Canvas. The result is very close, but not exact. I'll try it using your steps and let you know how it turns out.Robert

I tried drawing each circle ensuring I started at the midpoint of my bitmap. The gaps between the circles stay constant, but the whole texture is still slightly off which tells me that now it's a mapping problem.Still grinding away at it,Robert

I like PSP specifically because you can use bitmaps and vector object simultaneously in the same image. I do almost all of my paints with vector objects and concentric circles are pretty easy that way.However, have any of you tried making evenly spaced radial lines around a circle (e.g. tick marks on an altimeter)? It's a no-brainer using a CAD program but I haven't figured out a slick way to do it in PSP.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)[table border=2 cellpadding=0 cellspacing=1][tr][td][table border=0 cellpadding=8 cellspacing=0][tr][td bgcolor=#540000]http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/logo75t.gif[/td][td align="center" bgcolor=#FFFFF6]Bush Flying Unlimited"At home in the wild"Looking for adventure? Come join us! * [link:bfu.avsim.net|Web Site] * [link:www.cafepress.com/bfu,bfu2,bfu3,bfu4|BFU Store] * [link:bfu.avsim.net/join.htm]Join!][/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Pete,AGain, Illustrator to the rescue. It is very easy to do it there, you rotate the lines to whatever degree you want, then just use a black circle on top of them with a smaller radius than them, to mask most of their length, just staying with the tickmarks. Check out this EGT for an APU:Perhaps you can do the same type of editing using the vectorial mode in PSP, rotating lines by certain angles then masking part of them?http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/25231.jpgP.S. I uploaded the pic correctly, but somehow they are not showing up.... Maybe the dimensions of 333x333? For the size is only 58K

Yeah, you can make lines and rotate them but imagine doing that for 100 lines or more. In a CAD program, for example, you just create one line and tell it to do a rotating replication, 100 repetitions over 360 degrees. Instant gratification! If you only want it to cover 1/3 of a circle, you just tell it to replicate over 120 degrees.Like you said earlier, the makers of these paint programs should learn to use modeling or CAD software and then make a really powerful paint tool.I hate it when software makes you do work that the computer should be doing. :-hahPeter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)

>Yeah, you can make lines and rotate them but imagine doing>that for 100 lines or more. In a CAD program, for example, you>just create one line and tell it to do a rotating replication,>100 repetitions over 360 degrees. Instant gratification! If>you only want it to cover 1/3 of a circle, you just tell it to>replicate over 120 degrees.>>Like you said earlier, the makers of these paint programs>should learn to use modeling or CAD software and then make a>really powerful paint tool.Er, not to sound silly, but have you considered using GMax to generate the lines for you?Create an object to represent the lines with a white color, then use the Array tool to do the even spacing around the arc you desire. A closeup screen shot of the finished array can then be pasted into a new layer in your paint program.You can even save the "trimming" step in the paint program of using a smaller circle to mask/clip the lines shorter, by simply splitting the 'line object' where you want the color to change and assigning a different color to the portion of the line you want to 'clip.' There are undoubtely many other ways to accomplish the task, but these are a couple that I've used over the last year or so... :)I tend to work on a very large canvas - about 4800x4800 for a gauge face that will eventually be resized to 200x200 for the finished product, so resolution isn't much of a problem... :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Hi Bill,Perhaps. But then I lose the vector objects when going back into PSP (i.e. taking the screenshot converts everything to bitmap). Since PSP supports vector and bitmap, I prefer to keep as much in vector form as possible.I'll have to check, but if PSP can import DXF files, I might pull out a 15-year old copy of AutoCAD (might need to pull out an old machine to run it on too) or grab one of the freeware CAD programs. Can Gmax export to vector formats such as DXF? If so, it might be the way to go.Peter http://bfu.avsim.net/sigpics/PeterR.gifBFU Forums ModeratorRenegade/Seawolf Design Group (RSDG)

There may be a .dxf export plugin available. I've never looked for one. It will, of course, import .dxf files.I use Adobe Photoshop 5.0 which doesn't offer vector drawing, so it's never been a concern for me... :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg