Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milton

A question for all designers

Guest N73GX

I was just thinking about this. Between work family and other real life obligations, Were do all you "Designers" and buiders, find the time to design and build the things you do, and fly in the sim?I guess a good question would be.... 1: How much time does a designer/builder actually fly in the sim per week?2: how much time is that "NOT" test flying?3: how upset does you significant other get up set with you due to this?I guess I just truned this post into a poll but I feel it is a good question.Thanks

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Jason.1: I am an Aerospace Engineer without a job, so 16 hours of my day go to FS.2: I haven't made a flight in FS that was not a test flight in more than 6 months.3: FS is the reason I do not seek significant others ;). I love it too much to share my time with someone else.P.S. Obviously, your milage will vary, as you will see by other answers.Best regards.

Guest Valid_Andy

I'll say one thing...I spend way way too much time on the Pooter. I gMax most of that time, and i have been making my current project about 5months, thats probably over 200/300hours of work. I find time to do one or two normal flights, but normally it's just a takeoff empty the tanks and land. Modelling is a hobby now really. I enjoy it, its aviation linked, and its just a good thing for me to do, stops me sitting around watching TV with food in my hand for 5 hours a night. I really should get more of a life, but i enjoy this, and i still have the other things i do, like riding my bikeas much as possible. Modelling is great, and it could become a help if i went into the game design or other jobs like that! I havent got round to test flights yet on htis spacific version of my project, which i have been making about 3 months, i have restarted 2 times by the way! it should soon be in the testing stages, but i can see where there are problems by just looking at it in gmax for animation probs and so on, and then it dont take much time to check it in FS! One thing is for certain though, do not allow this to takeover and sort of School/Jobs things you have to do! Just my opinion!

Hi,Only busy enhancing my 767-300, testflying the thing and this forum.About 2 hours a day.Jan"Procul Negotiis"

Guest PhLem

Hmm, some simple questions. Well, here goes. 90 % of time spned behind the pc is doing work in Gmax. The 10 % is spent reading the forums, checking uploads and provider user support via mail. I haven't been able to do a desent flight for a very long time. Most ime spent in FS is for testing purposes. Lucky for me ( or not ) I am still single, so I spent most of my free time at this hobby. As long as it is fun, and appreciated, I will continue doing so.Take care,Udo.Project GlobeTwotter.:-wave

Guest Eurosky

heywell, depens on the status of my project. if it is nearly done you need to test a lot. Normally I only make take offs. I don't fly much, spend a lot time for Gmax and checking forumsIf i make a flight, it is probably test flying, so almost none flight that aren't test.

Huh? wansn't able to reply with qoute on this one for some strange reason... Anyway:>1: How much time does a designer/builder actually fly in the>sim per week?Depends on a few variables I guess: Regular work amount, actual outside weather, simulation mood, other games, and so forth. But on average 10 hours a week.>2: how much time is that "NOT" test flying?As a pure gauge and panel "designer" - I spend 50-60% on testflying, 30-40% on actual "flying" the thing I'm working on - full flights withough any reloads etc, and the rest is on other aircraft.>3: how upset does you significant other get up set with you>due to this?I never got to ask before she left :D :D :D

Guest Fly1

Well, since I am single, and have gone through enough relationships to be comfortable on my own, I must say I really enjoy working on my project.My Legacy project is now 6 months old, and probably has another month or two to go. The first 4 months got to be a bit much. Every spare minute, either Gmaxing, painting, or testing something in FS. Percentages depend on the work at hand. Lately I have throttled back a bit, and I am not so exausted at work, which is tough enough.When I was younger I flew homebuilts, and spent all my time working on my plane. Now I spend as much time on my vitual plane, and actually get more enjoyment. The creative process is incredible. The challenge, frustration, and sense of accomplishment when something actually works the way you planned it.Every once in a while I will jump in one of the planes in the hanger, and do some touch and goes, or check out a new download, but that is to a minimum these days. Got to keep the momentum going.Better get back to it.Best Regards to All!!Bob C.

Guest Milton

Very little time now just for pleasure flying depending on phase of project.I usually go into seclusion in the model design phase until the exterior is completed and mapped. I will spend 40-50 hours per week modeling, more if I didn't have a full time job... lol This usually takes me 2 months for the exterior.Once I get to flight dynamics where I usually invest about 80-120 hours, then I do a lot of short test flights in all scenarios and phases of flight. I use two test panels and try to get the FD's on the numbers at MSL and 10,000'.As that is being alpha tested, I get to work on the VC. This generally takes me 6-8 weeks to complete.At this point, my 50 hours per week can slow down a little and I begin fine tuning everything that's not mapped for textures. Finishing touches may require 3-4 weeks.Beta testing requires a couple of weeks and gets pretty intense at times trying to sort out issues and coordinate changes for testing.With the wife still at home, and me now anxious to get this project off my desk, we set out to do a support site. She does that. :-) With that done, I prepare and test the upload package for a week.If it were not for her whole-hearted support, believe me these 5-6 month, total immersion projects would be a thing of the past.Yes, you added up the numbers correctly; my personal project hours typically run 1200-1500 on each new project during a 5-7 month timeframe, while holding down a full time job. Scott and Andr