Sign in to follow this  
Guest harry3

Air file parameters

Can anyone please tell me where I can find a comprehensive description of the parameters contained within .air files. I have AirEd and FDEditor but neither utility explains very much. The final Fs2002 SDK release does'nt seem to give any secrets away either. Or am I missing something?! Any help would be greatly appreciated.Another frustrated designerKosa

Guest Douglas K

I can well and truly sympathize with your frustration.However, it has been my experience that the phrases "comprehensive description" and "parameters contained within .air files" are mutually exclusive.MS Flight Simulator flight dynamics are somewhat of a puzzle wrapped in a mystery hidden inside an enigma kind of thing. Also, if you are looking for in depth information that is present in one location only, then sadly your quest is over because it doesn't exist for the general public.But if you are up for a little internet travel and adventure, some reading between the lines, learning arcane aerodynamic terms and concepts, and trying hard to fit all of these things into Flight Simulator's flight dynamics programming, then begin your journey to enlightenment with these sites:http://www.avhistory.org/scripts/MegaBBS/f...w.asp?forumid=5 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/fsdocs.htmlhttp://perso.wanadoo.fr/hsors/FS_Soft/fsairfile.htmlcombine the information available at the websites above with a lot of practical experience experimenting with and testing aircraft in Flight Simulator, and you will be able to write your own comprehensive description of what these parameters do.I look forward to reading it! :)

Guest Milton

Well said! :-)It's really about learning flight dynamics, not parameters. However, clarity in some areas would help. Many thanks to all the guys over at AVHISTORY for bringing us to the point we enjoy today. :-)Examples: Valid ranges for table entry values, which parameters are used by which sims and which tables if present override other lower numbered tables; clarification on aircraft.cfg parameters (which have no effect, which .air file entries they modify, etc.).Ron (and others) have provided a great start on this and that is appreciated.Bottom line, it's as Douglas states; it takes a lot of time to understand the interactions, learn something about flight dynamics, and how to influence improvements. If you are schooled in aerodynamics, it certainly can be mastered easier as the terms are not foreign.I highly recommend reading Tom Goodrick's pdf on the topic that can be found at the sites Douglas listed. It's an easy read for interested beginners and can put it all into perspective for you.Milton

Milton and DouglasThank you both very much for your assistance. The Links you listed are a great help. The hierarchy labyrinth, is mentioned (maybe I should say, whispered about) in the SDK, but why MS insists on keeping us in the dark concerning air files.........!? %$#^@!.....who knows (shrug)Anyway, onward, to the last great Flight Simulator Frontier.Best RegardsKosa