Sign in to follow this  
Guest dek

L:variables.....

Guest dek

To any and all, I have searched for info regarding the use of L:variables and cannot seem to find any specific info regarding their identity and use. And yes I know their are bits and pieces around, such as Arne Bartels tutorials, but I am looking for something more specific.Thanks for any help, dek

L:Variables are (was?) simply just variables that could be read and written by any xml gauge, and can hold i.e. calculated data about oxygen level which doesn't have an already declared variable by default. This way you can build pretty complex systsms even if the sim by default doesn't have them. L:Variables require a type declaration, G:Var's does not. L:Vars are accessiable to any xml gauge, G:Var's are local to the current gauge it is used but doesn't require a type set.I use them for everything, since G:Var's in FS2002 was buggy (seems fixed now, but now there might be other things). What I didn't manage was to read/write a string variable into a L:Var.

Guest dek

Thanks Karl for your reply. What I don't understand is what variables the sim recognizes. The only variable list I know of is the A:vars list. Is there an L variables list?Thanks for your help, dek

>Thanks Karl for your reply. What I don't understand is what>variables the sim recognizes. The only variable list I know of>is the A:vars list. Is there an L variables list?>>Thanks for your help, dekHow could there be such a list? L:variables are user created! They don't exist until you make them! :)Let's just use a simple example to illustrate what I mean. You don't want gauge lighting to 'turn on' unless three conditions (at least the last two) are true:(A:General eng4 generator switch,bool) (A:LIGHT PANEL,bool) && (A:Electrical master battery,bool) && Now, you could simply copy/paste the above statement wherever you need to make this check, but you could easily create a custom L:variable to substitute for that long command sequence by setting the value of say, L:gaugelights,bool to 'true' based on the run-time evaluation of the above code snippet in the 'master gauge' where you've defined/created the L:variable. From then on, in every gauge you create where you want internal lighting to be controlled, you'd simply type the following:(L:gaugelights,bool)Now, this is just a rather trivial example of how you could create/use an L:variable, but obviously there are many, more powerful ways that they could be used! :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Guest dek

Thanks Bill, I understand now. dek