Sign in to follow this  
Guest Fabio Miguez

A Beginner's Question...

Guest BobL

I've been giving some thought to trying my hand at design.I've always learned something new by seeing how someone else does it. Kind of a show me/tell me thing. So, here's the question...If I wanted to open a model file or take it apart for the sole purpose of looking around..where would I start?BobL

Guest Valid_Andy

Double post - Sorry!

Guest Valid_Andy

To be honest thats not a good idea. Its very hard to do, and takes along time! If you want to have a look at some models for looking around, take a look over at www.freeflightdesign.com , they have Milton Shupes Dash 7 model, along with alot of others, which can be a great help!

Guest BobL

ThanksI'll give it a tryBobL

Guest Milton

Hi Bob,If I can help with anything if you look at the Dash 7 let me know.I could also send you the Aero Commander gmax source if you want it.Milton

>I've been giving some thought to trying my hand at design.>>I've always learned something new by seeing how someone else>does it. Kind of a show me/tell me thing. So, here's the>question...>>If I wanted to open a model file or take it apart for the sole>purpose of looking around..>>where would I start?Why not start by looking on your own hard drive at the .gmax source files MS kindly supplied in the gmax folder of FS2002 Pro?BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Guest BobL

Hi MiltonI appreciate your offer very much and bear with me as I come down the learning curve. I'll start with a real basic question which I'm sure comes from a lack of experience with 3D modeling in general and GMAX in particular...When GMAX starts, there is a four pane window Top Left is top view. Top Right is Front. Bottom Left is Left. And Bottom Right is Perspective. Of course, in the untitled default file that presents itself when GMAX starts, they are all blank.When I open the Dash-7 from freeflight, I don't see these four panel. Just a single one, showing the model from the right side. How do I get the four pane view in the Dash-7 file?Thanks for your offer and assistance!BobL

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Bob.On the bottom right of the gmax screen you should see half a dozen little icons, some for zoom, etc. (at least that's how it is in 3ds). One of them is the button that toggles one pane or four for the screen. I can't remember exactly which one, but I think you will find that out very quickly :-).

Guest BobL

I'm afraid I'm not having any luck with this...The buttons I see layed out on the bottom right, in a rectangle are:Zoom ZoomAll ZoomExtents ZoomExtentsAllRegionZoom Pan ArcRotate Min/MaxToggleThe Min/Max Toggle toggles between a single pane view (Right Side) and a double pane view (Right Side top, Front on bottom).I still don't see how to get to the four pane view.The others don't seem to have any effect at all on the viewYour help is appreciated so much. Thank youBobL

Guest Milton

Bob,The right, left, top, bottom, front, rear views can be activated by their respective keystrokes: R, L, T, B, K, FSecondly, you can go to Customize Viewports and set any standard 2-3-4 view panel you like. Most work is done with one view panel open.These options need to be set for your preferences.Milton

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Milton,Thanks for the rescue. I have a tendency of confusing more than helping people :-).Funny you should mention your personal technique as working with one panel open. I do most of my work with the four, switching only to one when I really have to see two parts up close that a re a little bit apart (can't soom in too much), and have therefore to make the whole panel bigger.But as with anything in modeling, your mileage will vary :-). Nice to hear what other people do.

Guest Milton

Fabio,I have always considered your responses very helpful and plainly written. I admire you and the others here for all the assistance provided. :-)Thank youMilton

Guest Fabio Miguez

Hey Milton,Thanks man, same for yours ;-).