Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

"Cowl Flaps" Won't Work in FS9

We used the "cowl flaps" tag to animate the window shades on the Beechjet 400A and the Hawker 400XP. Evidently, MS has changed the part name for animation, since they no longer will work as they did in FS2k2. :(Any ideas?BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

I heard from past posts from beta testers of 04 that certain tricks using unused variables in an aircraft that does not comply with those variables donot work any more.. Dont quote me on this one though...IE Afterburners vars will not work on a 172 as well as Cowl flaps will not work on a Jet..Maybe make a quick little cowl flap in GMAX. Tag it as before, and give it the .air/panel/sound of the mooney and see if it moves.. Regards,RomanGREEN BAY PACKERS][/i :-ukliam :-beerchug

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Even quicker would be to drop the Mooney .air file and aircraft.cfg parameters into the Hawker 400XP temporarily, and see if the window shades move up and down! :)Yes, the missing "afterburner" commands are why the late Bill Morad's gauge will no longer work for the "missing k_events." Of course, presumably those k_events are no longer "missing!" :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

"Even quicker would be to drop the Mooney .air file and aircraft.cfg parameters into the Hawker 400XP temporari"Just look for the section on cowl flaps in the Mooney aircraft.cfg, and paste that section into the 400's aircraft.cfg... I know the cowl flaps are working fine in the Mooney and DC-3, so I'll have to revisit this tonight.More of an issue--the Beechjet's windows no longer have reflections. Dynamic shine still works however, and if Microsoft doesn't patch the Window issue soon, my suggestion would be applying dynamic shine to the windows in your own patch--as well as a little shading, as they appear a bit too clear.Pity this feature seems missing in FS2004. I love the look of the Beechjet w/reflections, not to mention that I get a solid 25 fps in spot view, with my P3/800. The missing glass reflections make it appear a bit odd.-John

>Just look for the section on cowl flaps in the Mooney>aircraft.cfg, and paste that section into the 400's>aircraft.cfg... I know the cowl flaps are working fine in the>Mooney and DC-3, so I'll have to revisit this tonight.Unfortunately, there is no entry for cowl flaps either in the aircraft.cfg or the .air file... >Pity this feature seems missing in FS2004. I love the look of>the Beechjet w/reflections, not to mention that I get a solid>25 fps in spot view, with my P3/800. The missing glass>reflections make it appear a bit odd.You did check "Reflectons" on in FS9, right?BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Yep--checked reflections. The fuse reflections are there, but the glass reflections ain't no mo....

>Yep--checked reflections. The fuse reflections are there,>but the glass reflections ain't no mo....I'm going to have to remove the window shades from the 400A and the 400XP unless I can figure out some other workaround for the problem.Maybe I can use "throttle 3" to control them...I'll check out the Hawker 400XP windows, because I know that I added specular highlighting to them. I'll also darken 'em up a bit and make them less opaque.BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

An Idea... Allocate three engines to the NO.... make it four to the flight modeling. Make a gauge that will fail #s 3 & 4 engines upon loading of any panel AND Voila!!! extra goodies !! Boy if the Raytheons were only props you'd be lovin it..Regards,RomanGREEN BAY PACKERS][/i :-ukliam :-beerchug

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Guest PAtom

cowl flap animations stil work in fs9, but ONLY on prop aircrafts (check the dakota). so jet-aircrafts cannot use cowl-flaps anymore. M$ has limited the use of animation-tags to special types of aircrafts. i dont know why, but perhaps their designers got mushrooms for dinner,....... i am very disapointed about this.cheerstomp.s. water-rudder, tailhook, concorde-visor and wingfolding can stil be used as "unusual" animation tags for jets aircrafts..

Hi Bill. Is there a way to get Bill Morad's gauges working in FS2004? I have been playing around with the Duck A/C and have had some problems with some of Bill's gauges. There is a missing dll in the Duckupdt-WHM gauge. Do you have any idea which one it might be? It is not the fssound.dll. I have already fixed that one. Thanks, regards, Bob.

Not as far as I'm aware. He was "exploiting" unused key_events in C to substitute for missing k_events in XML. As far as I know now, those "missing k_events" are working now, but I honestly haven't looked into that yet. I've got several a/c to update for FS9 and just haven't had too much time for investigations, much less actually flying! :)BillAVSIM OmbudsmanFounder and Director,Creative Recycling of Aircraft Partshttp://catholic-hymns.com/frbill/FS2002/images/fartslogo.jpg

Hi Bill. Thanks. I really do miss Bill Morad. He was a wonder and a big help for me and others. If you ever come across a solution please let me know. Best regards, Bob.