Sign in to follow this  
Great Ozzie

U.S. Pilots Can Fly Until 65

Guest CRJ700FO

>Good news for the older pilots, longer waits for the younger>pilots coming up.>>http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi...0,1950072.story>a BLATANT load of crap if you ask me. so the seasoned ones get the benefits of age 60 retirements for their career and an extra 5 yrs at the top of the food chain (while delaying EVERYONE below them).thanks SWAPA and APAAD, greed rears it's head.

>thanks SWAPA and APAAD, greed rears it's head.Sure, old pilots are as greedy as the current young pilots will be in the future. So what's new? Call me greedy too - I also want to work till I'm 65 (I am not a commercial pilot). Perhaps it was time for US to catch up with the rest of the civilized world in this matter. I detect a lot of juvenile anger in your post .. I suggest you grow up. Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

>>thanks SWAPA and APAAD, greed rears it's head.>>Sure, old pilots are as greedy as the current young pilots>will be in the future. So what's new? Call me greedy too - I>also want to work till I'm 65 (I am not a commercial pilot).>Perhaps it was time for US to catch up with the rest of the>civilized world in this matter. I detect a lot of juvenile>anger in your post .. I suggest you grow up. >>Michael J.Easy for you to say when you are not the one that just had your life plans set back five years again. This whole age 65 thing had absolutely nothing to do with equal rights or joining the rest of the world or anything else that might sound worthwhile. Simply a case of one side's greed winning out over another's. The older pilots benefited from the age 60 rule when they were young, then decided that once they got to the top, the rules could be changed so that they could hang on to the top longer. First 9/11, now Age65, I wonder what's next? You should be glad you're not a "commercial pilot."Besides, why would anyone want to work until 65?

Guest fullstoplanding

" The older pilots benefited from the age 60 rule when they were young,"At the time, I'd wager they were the strongest rooters for the 60-and-retire rule. Old saying, "It all depends whose ox is being gored." :-) or :(

Guest CRJ700FO

>>thanks SWAPA and APAAD, greed rears it's head.>>Sure, old pilots are as greedy as the current young pilots>will be in the future. So what's new? Call me greedy too - I>also want to work till I'm 65 (I am not a commercial pilot).>Perhaps it was time for US to catch up with the rest of the>civilized world in this matter. I detect a lot of juvenile>anger in your post .. I suggest you grow up. "I am not a commercial pilot", so i do not think you understand what really happened here. a bunch of old, self centered, greedy pilots got one of their own elected to the head of the organization that collects 2% of my paycheck every month. he then proceeded to change ALPA's stance on the issue 180 degrees even though polling showed an OVERWHELMING favor AGAINST this. they then lean on congress to rush this through with SWAPA paid off politicians.let me lower your career earnings $500,000 with the stroke of a pen and see how you will react. it's not juvenile, it's a righteous display of anger against those who couldn't plan ahead and simply want 5 more years at the top of the food chain.ANY argument they use is false. age discrimination was argued at age 60. so they simply move the age up 5 years! that's not still discriminatory? i am sure in 4 years we'll hear from these greedy slimes again pushing for age 70.

I understand your reasons, but would you hold the same opinion if you were 59 years old? It's not meant to be a pure rethorical question.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

> The older pilots benefited from the age 60 rule when they were young, Sorry but I don't buy this theory. When this old rule was coming into effect the current old pilots were then barely 20-22 years old. I don't buy for a second that somehow the rookies pilots at the time had such a political clout to force the change for their benefit.>Besides, why would anyone want to work until 65?Say what, excuse me ... ??? Some want to work till they are 70, 80 or when they drop dead, some want to retire at 40. Some want to work because they are 'greedy' some simply like to work. This is called choice and individual life style.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

>> The older pilots benefited from the age 60 rule when they>were young, >>Sorry but I don't buy this theory. When this old rule was>coming into effect the current old pilots were then barely>20-22 years old. I don't buy for a second that somehow the>rookies pilots at the time had such a political clout to force>the change for their benefit.>Nothing to do with clout or that they even knew or cared what the retirement age was. They all made their upgrades, got a job when they did, all five years sooner than if the rule had been 65.>>Besides, why would anyone want to work until 65?>>Say what, excuse me ... ??? Some want to work till they are>70, 80 or when they drop dead, some want to retire at 40. Some>want to work because they are 'greedy' some simply like to>work. This is called choice and individual life style.>>Michael J.Some choices are dumber than others.

Guest aca_dia

From one pilot to another, it sounds like you might benefit from five more years of maturing. I know I don't want to share my cockpit with an attitude like that. BTW I am only 37 and I think the change is long overdue.

I'll tell you what's really despicable is that the airlines like USAirways, United, Delta, who declared bankruptcy were allowed to come out of it without honoring their pension commitments and turning it over to the federal government, who in turn were forcing these pilots to retire before 65 (60) and then has the nerve to invoke the rule about denying full pensions for those who leave before age 65, resulting in a 3/4 loss of their pension they worked for. Talk about the a Catch 22!! These airlines should not have been permitted to come out of bankruptcy unless they resumed their pension commitments that they owe these pilots and other employees affected.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>From one pilot to another, it sounds like you might benefit>from five more years of maturing. I know I don't want to>share my cockpit with an attitude like that. BTW I am only 37>and I think the change is long overdue.>>Why don't you add something to the conversation by bringing up some reasons why you would want this kind of change instead of being the first one to start making personal insults.

Guest aca_dia

I suggest you re-read your own posts before you point fingers at who is or isn't adding to the conversation. Fantastic claims about greedy 59 year old pilots is neither accurate or constructive. Forcing our most experienced line pilots out at 60 makes zero sense if they are fit and healthy. This rule is about being competent to fly, and not "greed" as you claim. The age 60 rule was created at a time when US health standards and expectations were much different that they are today. If there was a safety reason for restricting older pilots flying Part 121 then I would be all for it, but has our health at older ages improves, the standards and limits for flying in the 121 world also need to adapt.If change to 65 means a slightly slower upgrade time for FO's and a slower track to the majors, then so be it. At the back end these same pilots will also not be forced out at 60. Regardless of all of this, in the volatile world of aviation this should be at the bottom of any pilots worry list.

Guest CRJ700FO

>I understand your reasons, but would you hold the same>opinion if you were 59 years old? It's not meant to be a pure>rethorical question.I am not 59 so it's a moot question.

Guest CRJ700FO

>I suggest you re-read your own posts before you point fingers>at who is or isn't adding to the conversation. Fantastic>claims about greedy 59 year old pilots is neither accurate or>constructive. the truth hurts. read the APAAD literature.>Forcing our most experienced line pilots out at 60 makes zero>sense if they are fit and healthy. This rule is about being>competent to fly, and not "greed" as you claim. The age 60>rule was created at a time when US health standards and>expectations were much different that they are today. If>there was a safety reason for restricting older pilots flying>Part 121 then I would be all for it, but has our health at>older ages improves, the standards and limits for flying in>the 121 world also need to adapt.for all this time ALPA has defended their age 60 stance based on SAFETY and now since Prater this has changed. wrong.if it is about "experienced" aviators, then let them fly past age 60 but from the right seat.>If change to 65 means a slightly slower upgrade time for FO's>and a slower track to the majors, then so be it. At the back>end these same pilots will also not be forced out at 60. >Regardless of all of this, in the volatile world of aviation>this should be at the bottom of any pilots worry list.the economic hit will never be recovered on the backside. you want to sit at the regionals and be abused for 5 years longer, thank Prater and have at it. FedEx and UPS are NO LONGER HIRING so those codgers sitting sideways can rebid over. thank god i escaped the regionals.