Sign in to follow this  
Guest majhankee

Some possible runway expansions at Boston Logan should be done.

Guest majhankee

First of all, at Boston, they send large jets such as 747s for takeoff on runway 9/27 or 4L/22R. 9/27 is only 7,000 ft and 4L/22R is only 7,861 ft. Now, if you take a look at the runways on Google earth, they COULD expand them. There's a lot of Blast Pad behind 9 and 4L. Can't Logan turn this into displaced threshold to increase the total runway length? so, if they did this, 4L/22R could be 9,861 feet long (2000 ft extension) and 9/27 could be 8000-8500 feet long.Just wondering because Logan seems to have shorter runways than other airports.

Guest majhankee

Isn't this possible?

"Isn't this possible?"Personally I don't know if it is or isn't possible, but bumping the thread twice isn't going to gather interest with so many people out of town for the holidays. Hangar Chat doesn't see a lot of traffic in terms of posts, but if someone knows they will answer sooner or later. Give them a chance--I assure you people have seen the thread and it doesn't need a daily bump to be seen.Regards,John

I'll respond (although I am no expert on this type of thing).Sure those rwy's could be expanded. But sometimes airport managers and/or the FAA like the displaced threshold/blast pad areas in certain configurations.Maybe this is one of those. Also at KBOS they could always fill in more of the harbor for more land, couldn't they?<8000 feet is kind of dicey for some of those big jets when they have a lot of fuel and pax/cargo onboard. No room for error...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

The blast pads are in place as safety zones and necessary for other operations to continue at the airport. Adding Rwy 14/32 took several hundred feet away from each blastpat.9/27 and 4L/22R are the preferred takeoff runways - but there are two 10,000 ft + runways available if an aircraft crew request them.In general it's more common to have the longer runways for landing the shorter ones for takeoff. Because the history of incidents shows that landing is more likely to require the extra length than takeoff.The only runway really available for extension is 15/33 because landfill for the other runways would restrict waterway navigation.Logan has plenty long enough runways for the traffic it has. It's not very expandable in it's present location. They'd probably have to build a new airport 40-70 miles away to have the ability to expand much.I don't think that will happen.

Guest majhankee

They should expand 15R/33L for the large aircraft that require it. I heard that Logan didn't have direct service to Asia because widebodies with all that PAX, fuel, and cargo can't takeoff safely from any of Logan's runways. So, they can expand 15R/33L by filling in land, its all water beyond 15R/33L.