Sign in to follow this  

Turboprop Prop dealing with FS2004

Hi,I really dont understand the way the prop of the turboprops are modelled in FS2004.When you have the propeller lever full forward, High RPM, Low pitch, the noise should be consequent, noisy, which mean one should hear the Props running at high RPM and once you feather the props they should run smoothly. FS98 2K and 2K2 did not manage the turboprops. FS2004 are doing a bit better but still are not satisfying I used to fly some complex twins in my life for real, never turboprops but have spent hours and hours in the cockpit of the Dornier 28, Dash 8-100....Once you are on short final and you put the Prop lever full forwardto high RPM, the noise is really different.With the turboprops ( standard and free authors) of FS2004, nothing happens, just once you are on the apron and you feather your prop, then you have the impression you are putting them at high RPM.Strange. Where is the solution ?? On the sound ?? Tunung the plane ??? I am not an expert.RegardsRoger

I may be over my head here, and not familiar with turboprops, but I wanted to use the old Corsair sounds (which are excellent quality btw IMHO) from FS2002 on the FS9 DC3. Not sure about this one, but it "appears" that the sound curves in sound.cfg is a function of power.Here is what I did to "remake" the Dc3 sounds (not to be released):Added boost to bass part of the rpm sound to get more roars, then removed some narrow frequency bands. Some tweaking to the rpm sound curves and it sounded ok. In sound.cfg, comment out all "unneccessary" parts for now (wind and rpm). Make sure you have four sounds for each prop (eight if including the external sounds): highpower_fine, highpower_feather, lowpower_fine, and lowpower_feather. Assign the sounds to the existing prop-curve, then rename all but one of the sounds, i.e. highpower_fine. Now the tweaking can start for this sound. Adjust the position and level points until they seem fine. Reload aircraft for each test. Tweak the other prop-sounds as needed. Try them out separately, then in various combinations. It takes A LOT of time. Personally I like a very loud "harrsssshhh" sound whenever rpm is set below normal cruise, gradually incrasing to a more gentle highpitched "hiss" sound at fine pitch (less sharp than the default C182 though). The use of two sounds for high and low power instead of simply using the pitchcurve, allows for attaching an "out-of-percect-sync-hum" and "airframe-resonance-sound" characteristics to the high power part. So lowering the rpm does make for a more quite cabin.The rpm sounds on the other hand, seem to be "locked" as a function of thrust.To summarize; rpm sounds are poorly modelled since a function of thrust/power. By dividing prop sounds into high and low, you can add extra humming to the high power/fine pitch setting. This might sound rather strange if doing lots of engine out scenarioes with a windmilling propeller though...I am definately no expert, but I like tweaking for own use. Some of these statements might be wrong due to a "wishful perception" :D

Hi Karl,Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. It is worth to give a try and I will do it. RegardsRoger